Author Topic: Chinese gilded bronze or copper ?  (Read 2241 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Chinese gilded bronze or copper ?
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:25:13 am »
Small and decorated with gilded copper or bronze and Chinese origins ?  Anybody any idea  where made and when maybe ?  Thanks

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: Chinese gilded bronze or copper ?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
My guess is copper looking at the bottom.  Could be a mixed metal item though because the top doesn't have as much of an orange tint.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:36:18 am »
Is this "I Dream Of Jeanie"'s home?  

Love it!  From the pics looks like brass.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:44:15 am »
The red copper you see is the base material and the gold colour looks to me fire burned gold like in a lot done on the earlier days . I think that the copper has been treated with a acid to get the design and after that the gilding .

The vase inside the gilded copper is a normal ceramic small vase so must have been a long job to get it surrounded with the copper before etching and the gilding . But maybe there's some better explanation about the way it's made ?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:14:19 pm by gerspee »

brucedixon01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »
Yeah! it looks like a brass but I don't have any idea when and where it made. If you want, try to go in Alternative Pawnshop and consult this item on them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:38:27 pm by brucedixon01 »
If you want to sell your antiques, jewelries and bags visit this site: www.biltmoreloanand jewelry.com

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »
No it's not the yellow off brass you see but gold colour so probably fire gilded  . To get brass as a layer on red copper (under the gold you see the red copper base metal) is a bit more difficult  then fire gilding and useless because you would make the metalwork straight away in brass . So to me it's older then 1900 because off the way made  . The little vase is also seen same shaped in Japanese Satsuma works .

To me it is Asian origins and maybe a lot older then it looks .

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 10:30:00 am »
Update from the house off vases  ;D According to big known auction house maybe Bohemian or Hongary make and price €600 Euro's . So nice but not been ale to find anything like in these maybe origins . So still need some help .