Author Topic: trouble removing brass hardware from Governor Winthrop desk  (Read 2113 times)

wlandymore

• View Profile
trouble removing brass hardware from Governor Winthrop desk
« on: April 09, 2015, 09:47:31 am »
Just got a very used Governor Winthrop secretary desk and I can refinish this without having to sand it down or strip it. However, I want to take the drawer pulls off of it so I can get full coverage when I put the finish on. These are the brass ones that are nailed in so there are no screws on the inside of the drawer. Usually with a flat drawer you can get something like a chisel to slip behind and gently pry them off, but these drawers are not flat and have that curved front that makes it hard to get something flat behind the pull without scratching it.

Does anyone have any advice for a good way to get the pulls off without the risk of scratching the front? 

cogar

• View Profile
Re: trouble removing brass hardware from Governor Winthrop desk
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 11:36:00 am »
Post a close-up picture of 1 of the drawer pulls ...... so that I don't offer you "bad" advice at removing them.

Cheers

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:37 am »
Are they nails ??, ( I am assuming they are similar to brads and have a flattened area at the back) !!  If so you can use a Dremel tool and cut off the flat part at the back then try a screwdriver, thin and small one, to pry them loose at the front !!  If they are regular nails, get another nail of slightly smaller size or a nail punch and gently drive them out from back to front !! If you can get them loose enough you can pull them easily with pliers !! Use screws to put them back after restoring !!

wlandymore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:32:41 pm »
Hey guys,

thanks for the help. I ended up leaving them because they have that specific bend that fits the contours of the drawer because I didn't want to risk taking them off. I used a combination of Restor-A-Finish and Feed-N-Wax on it and it looks pretty good now. I used a q-tip in the very small spaces around the pulls but I think it was a better move than trying to pry them lose.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like the things that hold the handle of the pull are pounded in like a nail but there is nothing visible from the back...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 09:53:38 am »
Beautiful desk !!  I agree !!  You did well !!

wlandymore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:02:37 pm »
thanks.  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »
Nice job!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!