Author Topic: Paper hidden inside a 16th century tibet Arhat wood statue  (Read 1433 times)

Ichieh

• View Profile
Paper hidden inside a 16th century tibet Arhat wood statue
« on: April 12, 2015, 02:49:25 am »
I recently acquired this 16th century tibet statue, and as i was handling it, i removed a wood block.  I found this paper wrapped with cotton/cloth material hid inside this small opening.   As i tried to remove it, i accidentaly tore a small piece out,  and saw some type of writing on the paper.    Any idea what it might be?   How should i proceed from here to find out what the writing is on the paper?

Ichieh

• View Profile
Re: Paper hidden inside a 16th century tibet Arhat wood statue
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 02:51:33 am »
It is very delicate, for obvious reason i am afraid to open the scroll myself.   Would love suggestions how to handle this interesting antique scroll/paper
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:13:57 am by Ichieh »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 11:17:16 am »
If this is in fact that old, I would take it to a local museum and ask them how to proceed.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ichieh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:14:51 pm »
I did some research, and found out that the tibet monks will roll mantra or other blessed items and stuff them in the statue, as part of the consecration of buddha statues.   I wonder if the item i found was mantra on paper from 16th century

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »
I agree with KC !!  A mantra/prayer is likely what it is but a museum would know how to handle it !!

Ichieh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:21:25 pm »
I doubt museum would provide this kind of service, at least not the one near where i live.    Are there labs that can do that?