Author Topic: The Lamplighter "L'Allumeur de Reverberes" - by: Maria Susanna Cummins (1867)  (Read 1996 times)

valhom

• View Profile
It's hardcover. I guess it's a French translated edition? I just can't seem to find any info on this when I searched on Google. I just found out that the original title went by "The Lamplighter". And it was first published back in 1854. And this author died one year before this edition was put out. She died in 1866. Anyone familiar with this author and/or book? Is this a rare book? How much do you think this is worth? Thank you. :)

valhom

• View Profile
A few more pics.

Skinny

• View Profile
About $10, maybe $15. Value is in the binding.

mariok54

• View Profile
Abe Books is the source that I often turn to, but can't find anything there for this one. However, you may still try contacting them

Skinny

• View Profile
Abebooks is a great resource. I usually check therm to help me determine how rare and or valuable a book may be. It's important to remember however, that just because a seller is asking a certain amount, doesn't s necessarily mean that's what the book is worth. Market value is the amount that a book will actually sell for, consistently. Also keep in mind that just because it's rare doesn't always make it valuable either.

mariok54

• View Profile
Hi Skinny,
I agree entirely, but it is a good starting point. It has copies of this, slightly later editions and in English, selling for a few dollars. A couple of times a quick visit to Abe has saved me money   ;)

Skinny

• View Profile
Yes, me too. Sometimes I see a book and think that it just has to be rare and valuable, and I would be crazy not to buy it for $20 or some such amount. Then I check ABE and there a bazillion copys starting around five dollars.

mart

• View Profile
Books are not the only area that applies to !! Research often pays off in money saved !!