Author Topic: Metal plate of some kind? I don't know where to begin.  (Read 7304 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
Metal plate of some kind? I don't know where to begin.
« on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:25 am »
I hope this works. This is the 1st time I've loaded pictures from the phone on here. I don't know what this is and I don't know how to begin looking online for anything similar. It is some kind of metal that's all I can say about it, ha ha. When my husband bought it at an auction, he said that the auctioneer didn't know what it was either. The auctioneer just thought it was possibly something from the roman era or Victorian era. That's a big jump in era's. I am sure it's not that old. I just don't know where to begin when trying to look it up. More photos in comments probably.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
Re: Metal plate of some kind? I don't know where to begin.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:30:48 am »
Another pic. This is the back of it.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:33:31 am »
One last pic. This is the edge of it. Oh and by the way there are no markings on it as far as letters or anything else.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:56:07 am »
How big is it !!  Good to see you back !!!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:21:04 am »
Thank you! It's been awhile. :) It is about 11 1/2".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:22:15 pm »
Looks like something an interior decorator would use displayed on an easel !!  Is it heavy ??

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:29:04 pm »
No it's not heavy, it's just a thin metal than its been pressed into it, it looks like. My husband said watch it'll probably be something made 10 years ago, ha ha.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 07:01:38 pm »
Well, if its that light its probably pressed/antiqued tin but could be lightweight sheet copper or brass !!  Back in the 70`s there were many things like this around !!  There was an antique boom,,everything was made to look old/ancient !!
You were in vogue i you decorated with antiques !!  Buy a small easel and and use it !!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:17:11 pm by mart »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:40:41 am »
Good to see you back here at the forum!

Does it look like it was ever used as a mold?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 06:45:44 pm »
Thank you for the warm welcomes back. :). It's pretty pressed in there and that's what I was wondering to it may have been used as one. I really never thought of that either.  Pics of the inside of it. You both bring in some very good things to ponder on. It helps. :)

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 06:51:58 pm »
Here's another interesting thing. There are these little holes, that are far from perfect around it. Some made the hole and others it appears missed.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 07:14:58 pm »
I think this is a copy of something !!  Perhaps from Italy,,it has a Roman look !!  When I first glanced at it ( and I am looking at it sideways) I thought it was of Nero !!  But then I cleaned my cheaters !!  ;D

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:58:44 pm »
That's interesting. Thank you for helping me with this. :)

You would not believe all the stuff my husband has. He's a hoarder, ha ha! At least it's in the basement. Everything from antiques, vintage and newer stuff. The man goes to Auctions & Antique Stores. Don't get me wrong, I love that stuff too, but I don't hoard, ha ha.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:06:14 pm »
LOl !!  I can think of worse habits !! Think of the fun you can have finding things !! Garage sale/Thrift store and Goodwill all in your garage !!  You can shop and never leave home !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 09:19:24 pm »
I know it can be burdensome for some of the spouses (but there are things far worse in life)!

But, boy could that be fun going through!  :) 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!