Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 1574 times)

Kamicoolio

• View Profile
What is this?
« on: April 20, 2015, 03:26:18 pm »
Anyone know what this is?

mart

• View Profile
Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:57:14 pm »
Looks like it could be the top of a parlor stove depending on its size !!  You are talking about the round object aren`t you ??  How big is it  ??  Is this something you own ??

Kamicoolio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:31:19 pm »
Yes, I'm talking about the round thing. It was probably around 14-16 inches. There were two others that were a little smaller. You can see the top of one in the picture. I don't own; but saw it for sale and thought it looked neat. It says it is cast iron. I wondered if it could be part of some kind of wheel or the grate to a air vent register? It isn't flat though.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:19 am »
Yepper, it is a register/vent cover!  Very ornate one. I really like it! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 07:47:18 am »
 Mmm,, I have never seen one that was not flat !!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:48:55 am by mart »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:35:05 am »
@ 14-16 inches in diameter .... is a BIG vent/register cover.

Its size n' looks .... make me think it is auto wheel "cover" ..... but not if its cast iron.

But iffen its cast iron it has to be really old ...... because they quit pouring that "intricate" cast iron a long time ago ...... unless its imported from say Mexico, etc. which I seriously doubt. They prefer the "high volume" repros of the old kitchen gadgets, cast iron banks, etc.

Iffen I remember correctly it requires high "phosphorus" cast iron to "pour" those intricate designs.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:31:36 pm »
My first look I had to see if there was a center hole and was possibly an ornate ceiling medallion - but didn't have one. 

Then my hubby/dad said register! I found a couple raised ones but couldn't copy them!  Now my internet connection is so spotty can't find them again!  :(

My dad said some of the "finer" hotels and homes had more ornate ones that were decorative elements. 

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!