Author Topic: antique tapestry  (Read 3348 times)

dashur1

• View Profile
antique tapestry
« on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:13 pm »
I'm hoping that someone out there can help me.  I've done some looking around on the web but tapestries are such a massive subject and without definitive information I'm not finding anything specific to help me.

I have a large tapestry with some interesting markings on it that I’m not able to make much headway with in terms of age, origin, etc.  This tapestry measures approximately 52” wide by 126” long.  The backside of the piece almost leads me to believe it was handstitched/embroidered but that is only my very uneducated guess.  There is some handstitched lettering in the center white cotton area as well as along one edge.  I’m not able to decipher any of the lettering and am not sure it is English.  There is a possibility that the tapestry has Danish origin but no certainty.  Besides the embroidered lettering there is what looks to be a white cotton strip of cloth sewn to the back of the piece with printing on it consisting of a black star preceding the number “56158”.  There is also a small red wax seal  coming off of this piece of cloth – it has an impressed mark in the center of it but the wax has cracked and I’m not able to read what it says.  There is also a small strip of white cloth sewn to the edge of the tapestry with handwritten lettering on it.  The cloth is partially deteriorated so I can’t read what all the lettering says.  I see the number “1890” – perhaps a date – and some other lettering – possibly He “ Dobf???” and some other numbers.

Any information on possible origin, age, what some of the markings might be, etc would be very much appreciated. I have more photos but see I am limited to 4 with my post. Thank you in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: antique tapestry
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:47 pm »
I can only get the first pic to load !! And can`t enlarge it !! If the pics were smaller size would be easier !! This computer is an ancient one,, have to buy a new one soon !! Try taking a closer shot of the writing I see on the first pic !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 05:45:45 pm »
I can't load any of them. It says file not found

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 05:51:45 pm »
have tried to reload - seems they did all load initially but for some reason they are not all there any longer.  I can try to take additional ones tomorrow if these don't work.  Thanks again in advance!

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 05:54:29 pm »
and some more

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 07:32:09 pm »
May I ask how you came to have this piece ?? Is it a family piece or was it purchased ?? It appears to be at least a partly hand embroidered coverlet !!  There are a few places where I could not tell if hand done or,, If it was a piece of fabric that had been embroidered over or had appliques added !!  How big is it ??
The name and dates are in English but are difficult to read because of the staining !!

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 07:38:57 pm »
It measures 52" wide by 126" long.  It was purchased at an estate sale - possibly Danish origin or possibly French based on family history I was able to gather (assuming it is from this family).  I don't note any staining to the piece - the only damage I note is to the one tag affixed to the back which has what I'm guessing it a year written on it and yes that does appear to be English.  Also some wear to the edging. However the embroidered signatures/lettering does not appear to be English. And yes it does look like it is hand embroidered but I wasn't certain as the detailing is extremely intricate.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 03:20:57 pm »
I just meant the stains on the little white part that has the name and date on it !! Not on the coverlet itself !!  How many names are on it !! This might be a version of what we call a friendship quilt !!  That is where every one does a square and stitches their name on it,, then they are all assembled into a quilt with signatures from those that contributed !! I know this isn`t a quilt but could be a bed covering !!

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 03:31:49 pm »
There is only the embroidered stitching in one place on the edge as well as one other place in the center.  Then there are the 2 cloth tags applied - one that is signed in ink and the other which has a printed number on it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12:04 am »
Did you ask the people you bought it from where it came from or what the history was ?? They would know !!  Even if its an estate sale by heirs !!

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 10:17:55 am »
They had no idea.  The sale was handled by a dealer.  Tried to get some info but also really wanted the piece and didn't want to jinx the sale.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:21:17 pm »
Then the dealer was a real DA for not doing proper research/ ID/ !! May I ask what you paid for this piece !!

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 07:37:03 am »
Minimal amount in my opinion - $75

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 09:27:26 am »
I would say that is a very minimal amount !!  You did well !!  I would suggest taking it to either a museum or someone familiar with antique needle work for a look !! Some of the design looks Turkish or Persian and then some parts do not !!  At any rate it was at least owned by an English speaking person from the signature !!  Could be worth quite a bit more than what you paid !! 

dashur1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 06:46:32 pm »
yes - I think my best best is to get in touch with someone to look at it - have a museum not too far away that I think has a textile expert that I'll plan to get in touch with. Thanks for your input!