Author Topic: Antique dining table please help before it gets sanded  (Read 2150 times)

mykee40

• View Profile
Antique dining table please help before it gets sanded
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:26:58 am »
Picked this up at a thrift store can anyone help me with a date and a value it does have a chip in the veneer but other than that pretty great shape I was going to give it to my dad my stepmom wants to sand it down and repaint it I want to find out more about what it is worth before it gets a modern makeover it has a fuzzy makers stamp on it a serial code that won't Google and hardware stamped with the seng co Chicago
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:29:29 am by mykee40 »

mykee40

• View Profile
Re: Antique dining table please help
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:30 am »
This is the stamp

mykee40

• View Profile
Re: Antique dining table please help
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:30:31 am »
And this is the serial

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique dining table please help before it gets sanded
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:11 am »
Well, I certainly wouldn`t sand and paint it !!  Your table is about 1940`s or so !!  The Seng C. made furniture and if I remember correctly also made the hardware !!  Is the hardware on your table the standard type ?? They made some nice extension tables and some of their hardware was unique for the time !!  

OK had to check some stuff !! I originally thought they made the hardware only but some say they made furniture as well !!  Let me do some further research !!  Can you try to get a better pic of that mark ?? 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:19:36 pm by mart »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:41:43 pm »
OK  Could not remember what I had found before so I checked again !!  Seng Co only made the hardware,, !! there was a Seng Furniture Co. but evidently it was a different one and they were a retailer !!
So back to the mark on your table,, the pics are too big for me to enlarge !! And what is written on the white tag,, couldn`t read it either !! The number is unimportant !!

mykee40

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 01:05:41 pm »
A closer pic of the stamp it really doesn't look like anything recognizable

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 07:02:46 pm »
Well, thats no help !!  How about the white tag what does it say ??  Furniture is rarely ever marked !! 

mykee40

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 07:31:02 pm »
The white tag is just assembly instructions

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:47:09 am »
Oh !!  Older funiture would not have had assembly instructions  so that would make your table about the 40`s or later !! Value is not a lot,, maybe $100 to $125.  give or take a few dollars either way !! It appears to be a good sturdy and well built table !! I just hate to see anything like that painted because it reduces the value even more and I have yet to see paint on a table that didn`t chip and look terrible in a very short time !!  To even get the paint to look halfway right you have to sand all the varnish off !! Not worth the trouble to me and certainly if you decided to sell at a later date I doubt anyone would want it !!

mykee40

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 01:49:15 pm »
Well I only paid 95 for it and it included 6 chairs that seem to be original to the table so I'm not too upset with that I just figured it was old because it has square bolts which I beleive where still used up to the 60s

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:52 pm »
If you got the original chairs with it (you didn`t mention that) the value would be more !!  Thats a good deal any way you look at it !! Furniture from thatera is pretty easy to find at this time but the longer you keep it hopefully the more demand there will be !! And you can`t get the quality in newer sets that these older ones have !! I think you did very well !!