Author Topic: Question about crack/cut in old leather chair  (Read 5262 times)

capn

• View Profile
Question about crack/cut in old leather chair
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:47:57 pm »
Hi guys.
This might be a weird question.
But I bought this leather club chair yesterday.
After I got it home I noticed a pretty long (probably 6 inches) crack/cut in the back seat of the chair. It does not go all the way through the leather, but your fingernail catches it.
I didn't go over the chair too closely before I bought it so I could have missed it.
The seller says it wasn't there when I bought it, but it's very dark...and I don't know how I could have done it while moving it. So I'm thinking (and hoping) it has been there a while.

Is there any way this could have happened yesterday?

I have a weird thing where I am completely fine with damage/distress on an item as long as I didn't do it. If I mess something up it drives me nuts!

So I'm hoping this was there before I picked it up yesterday.

Is there any way to tell from these photos or no?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:45:26 pm by capn »

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Quick question about crack/cut in old leather chair
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:43:42 pm »
It sure appears to be some cracking , with some age to it , to my eyes , capn.

This is not to say that the cracking could not have been widened/deepened by simply sitting in the chair , but .... I don't think that the damage is new .

You could find some spot on your chair that is not exposed & give the leather a tiny slit with a razor blade , so as to compare the color of 'freshly damaged' leather to what you're posting about (not really worth your time , IMO) .

The leather also appears as if it's dry & quite cracked on it's surface & could use some neatsfoot , murphys oil soap &/or etc .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

capn

• View Profile
Re: Quick question about crack/cut in old leather chair
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »
It sure appears to be some cracking , with some age to it , to my eyes , capn.

This is not to say that the cracking could not have been widened/deepened by simply sitting in the chair , but .... I don't think that the damage is new .

You could find some spot on your chair that is not exposed & give the leather a tiny slit with a razor blade , so as to compare the color of 'freshly damaged' leather to what you're posting about (not really worth your time , IMO) .

The leather also appears as if it's dry & quite cracked on it's surface & could use some neatsfoot , murphys oil soap &/or etc .

Thanks!
Ya, I have been apply some conditioner. It's pretty dry.

I think the seller was trying to deny that the crack was always there...but honestly I don't care. I'm just worried that I did it yesterday when I was moving it from one location to the other.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question about crack/cut in old leather chair
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:58:51 am »
I agree with Fancypants,, that is not a new scratch !! It has been there a while and looks to me like some polish was used to make it less visible !!  Thats why the edges are dark !! You might check at a home improvment store for a fill in product !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 08:26:22 am »
I agree with Fancypants,, that is not a new scratch !! It has been there a while and looks to me like some polish was used to make it less visible !!  Thats why the edges are dark !! You might check at a home improvment store for a fill in product !!

Great, thank you!
I did apply some pecard's leather dressing to the whole chair when I got it home, maybe that's what you're seeing.
What other signs show it's an older scratch/cut?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:49:05 am by capn »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:46:41 am »
It appears from the pictures, like the others stated, that it is a crack.  When you have real leather it has imperfections and over time they will show up.  ESPECIALLY if someone doesn't keep up the conditioning of the leather (I have been very guilty of this and have a favorite chair with a place just like this on an arm - very visible area).

When you are dealing with genuine leather, "weaknesses" like this will show up over time - which is inherent in it.  I always advise buyers when they are looking at genuine leather and "faux" leather that if they want the chair to look pretty much the same in 10 years to go with faux but that it doesn't wear as well and will become saggy and dull looking.  The genuine leather will keep it's look but can develop cracks/etc unless maintained (and sometimes even when maintained due to the weight stress from sitting on it which is a heck of alot different than the natural stress points from the cow wearing it!)  Kind of like us humans, we develop "character marks" such as wrinkles/spots etc over time.

If it bothers you enough, there are leather repair places out there that can come out and mix up an "epoxy time material" to "glue" the edges back together and you will barely notice it - but it will still be there.  If you are going to do that - DO NOT do anything else to the leather at this point so they can get a good grip on the leather without conditioning build up.  Or you can wait and do it later. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:53:19 am »
It appears from the pictures, like the others stated, that it is a crack.  When you have real leather it has imperfections and over time they will show up.  ESPECIALLY if someone doesn't keep up the conditioning of the leather (I have been very guilty of this and have a favorite chair with a place just like this on an arm - very visible area).

When you are dealing with genuine leather, "weaknesses" like this will show up over time - which is inherent in it.  I always advise buyers when they are looking at genuine leather and "faux" leather that if they want the chair to look pretty much the same in 10 years to go with faux but that it doesn't wear as well and will become saggy and dull looking.  The genuine leather will keep it's look but can develop cracks/etc unless maintained (and sometimes even when maintained due to the weight stress from sitting on it which is a heck of alot different than the natural stress points from the cow wearing it!)  Kind of like us humans, we develop "character marks" such as wrinkles/spots etc over time.

If it bothers you enough, there are leather repair places out there that can come out and mix up an "epoxy time material" to "glue" the edges back together and you will barely notice it - but it will still be there.  If you are going to do that - DO NOT do anything else to the leather at this point so they can get a good grip on the leather without conditioning build up.  Or you can wait and do it later. 

Thank you! It doesn't really bother me, unless I did it myself 2 days ago when I was moving it. I know that sounds weird.
I like the natural wear and tear (patina) that especially leather gets...I just have a weird mental thing where it drives me nuts when I know that I was the one who damaged something. If someone else did it, I'm fine. (Again, weird I know!)

So do you think that the crack has been there for a while, or could it have been done 2 days ago?
I did put some leather dressing on the chair the day that I got it (and over the crack).

Also, it is right in the middle of the seat back where your back/head would be...so it would probably be the area most prone to wear and tear.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:01:58 am by capn »

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 11:45:38 am »
Sometimes poor (& dry) condition of leather furniture in specific areas is caused by years of unabated sunlight damage , just like areas that have had hands (oils) touching them regularly will have supple , if not darker leather .

Maybe this one is one that falls in the middle of your criterion for 'How did this get skru'd up?' responsibility/blame , since neither we not thee knows for sure !?!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 12:27:02 pm »
Sometimes poor (& dry) condition of leather furniture in specific areas is caused by years of unabated sunlight damage , just like areas that have had hands (oils) touching them regularly will have supple , if not darker leather .

Maybe this one is one that falls in the middle of your criterion for 'How did this get skru'd up?' responsibility/blame , since neither we not thee knows for sure !?!

I'm just wondering if that crack looks new or old. That's all. I don't care if it happened when the previous owner had it...actually, that is what I hope.

I plan on conditioning and keeping good care of the leather, but up until 2 days ago it belonged to someone else so there's nothing I can do about that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 12:33:39 pm »
When you get a fresh scratch on leather the edges will have a feathered look like tiny hairs along the edge !!  As time goes by this will smooth down from normal wear and rubbing against that area as well as polishing or cleaning !!  A natural crack in dry leather can look the same but less severe !!  I have two saddles,,both black !! I am beginning to be an expert on leather scratches !!  :D

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »
When you get a fresh scratch on leather the edges will have a feathered look like tiny hairs along the edge !!  As time goes by this will smooth down from normal wear and rubbing against that area as well as polishing or cleaning !!  A natural crack in dry leather can look the same but less severe !!  I have two saddles,,both black !! I am beginning to be an expert on leather scratches !!  :D

Haha :)

So you think, even though I put one layer of Pecard's dressing on it 2 days ago when I got it, that the crack is definitely old? (at least older than 2 days)

And is it odd that it just cracked there? Seems weird there is just one solitary, long (like 6") crack.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:40:16 pm by capn »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 07:33:15 pm »
My personal opinion is that it is not a natural crack !!  It is an old scratch !!  From where you said it was located, possibly someones watchband had a burr that made it or a ring !!~ At least those are the two most common things I would think of !!  No telling really !! But I think its way too smooth and regular for nature to do it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 07:48:18 pm »
Could have been an old injury on the cow that never showed until late from stress.  Seen that happen as well.

Very precise tho'.  No matter what...it is here!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 07:55:39 pm »
My personal opinion is that it is not a natural crack !!  It is an old scratch !!  From where you said it was located, possibly someones watchband had a burr that made it or a ring !!~ At least those are the two most common things I would think of !!  No telling really !! But I think its way too smooth and regular for nature to do it !!

I think I definitely agree it's not natural.
I'm just curious if it happened a long time ago or not.
I'm trying to avoid getting upset with myself if I did it moving through the door of my apartment or something.
That's why I'm hoping it was there before I bought it.

But like KC said, it's there either way! I think I just need some time to get over it.
I'm anal about strange things like this...especially if I'm the one who did them!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 11:58:24 pm »
It's real easy to crack very dry leather , esp when it's stretched over a flexible substrate .... (it happens with old sports mitts , boxing gloves , furniture & all sorts of stuff) a quick blow , or a quick flop on a chair can do the job in no time flat .
Dry rot can be a problem too , in some climates , living/hiding on the split side & out of sight . >:(

If your item is really that dry , oil , oil & oil some more ! ;)

Aside from it having a blem , I hope you love sitting in your chair , capn !