Author Topic: Brass pitcher with a "skin condition"?  (Read 4297 times)

Bradley

• View Profile
Brass pitcher with a "skin condition"?
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:45:55 pm »
This heavy cast pitcher appears to be brass, but I wonder about the splotches on its surface. I suppose some of the dark splotches could be lacquer, but I have polished it (with the intention of drinking from it) quite vigorously and the splotchy complexion remains, before and after.

My major concern is lead content. I have heard that some brass does include lead in the mixture along with copper and zing. I am not thrilled about that.

Please excuse the tilting of the photos. I uploaded them from my phone, which gives me some problems on that issue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:48:50 pm by Bradley »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Brass pitcher with a "skin condition"?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 07:10:17 pm »
I would not recommend using it for food or drink unless it is tinned inside !!  Many of the brass items you find were not made in the U.S. !!  Other countries did not have the same standards that we did in the past !!  No way to know what the brass mixture consists of !!  I bought a neat looking brass saucepan thinking maybe to use it,,I decided it would be better as a conversation piece after reading what can leach into food from some of these things !!

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:22 pm »
Thanks. I stopped drinking from it awhile ago after a "gut feeling" not to. No other way to put it. Then I did some research and found that a lot of different things can be put into brass.  Meantime, I have looked for places and/or services that could analyze the metal content to tell me if it is safe. But I am not exactly in a budget to have a pitcher FedEx-ed across the country for metallurgical analysis. If you know of anyplace that does that inexpensively, please share.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:50:53 pm by Bradley »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 07:55:04 pm »
Is there a university near you ??  I am sure they would be able to do it at minimal cost,,but why would you want to ?? Yes I read your post about the historical aspect but wouldn`t you be just as happy with American made ??

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »
Purely a safety issue. I just want to know that it is safe to drink from. Would be nice to be able to use it without fear, regardless of who made it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:00:22 pm by Bradley »

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »
I feel  like I should add that I get great pleasure out of purchasing antiques that I can use.  Just as an example, here is a photo of an oil/kerosene lamp that a local dealer assessed at having been made in the late 19th century. (Though feel free to add your own assessment. I am a pack-rat for opinions.) It has a brass reservoir, mounted to a marble shaft, descending to a brass foot. It has been rewired to function as an electric lamp, having been sold to me that way. It sits in my living room and I use it every day. Love it!

So what's the connection between the two? The place of origin of that pitcher doesn't really concern me one way or another. I am more interested in the fact that it is a genuine antique from a bygone era and that I have the privilege of using it every day -- just like the oil lamp. Go ahead and call me "eccentric." (I promise I won't report you for blasting.) I have been getting that label since I was nine years old and I am well into my 40s, so I am at peace with it. ;D

And thanks for your input. I am learning a lot here. Wonderful site!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 08:38:49 pm by Bradley »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 10:07:07 pm »
Nice lamp! 

Like your inquisitive mind! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 10:24:27 pm »
Thanks. I got that lamp for only $50 at one of my favorite antique malls because no one gets out of bed in the morning saying "Gee, what do I need today? Cat food, toothpaste, bathroom tissue and -- oh yes -- a 19th century oil-to-electric conversion lamp."
LMAO!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:40:37 am »
LOL !!  Yes I know what you mean !!  I am the same way about kitchen items !! But so many of these things that we find are only intended for decorative purposes,, not with food or drink !!  Many I have found have a sticker to that effect !!  There is my reasoning !!
That is a beautiful lamp and I use my things as well  but my personal safety comes first !!  If you really want to use it like I said,, check with a university near you, maybe geology department, or its possible any major lab would be able to test it !!  They may have to take a scraping to do this !!  Not sure of the technique used!!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 07:49:16 am »
Iffen you believe everything the “government” (EPA, NHI, etc.) tells you, …. then you are more likely to die of “fear” …. than you are of the toxicity claims they are touting.

And besides that, said “government” speaks with “forked tongues”, … and iffen you want something to “fear”, then read the following, to wit:

The following excerpted from:  http://www.burtongoldberg.com/page81.html

Today, I want to discuss two known cancer-agents that are intentionally added to our nation’s water supply, with the full support of the very federal and state health agencies that are supposed to be looking out for our health. I’m talking about chlorine and fluoride.

Chlorine  (hypochlorite)

Chlorine is a chemical that has been used for over a century to “purify” drinking water. While it is true that chlorine added to drinking water acts to protect against several types of harmful bacteria, such as Shigella, Salmonella and Vibrio cholera, it’s also well-documented that chlorine can form cancer-causing compounds in water. Despite that fact, the use of chlorine to disinfect drinking water is a standard practice throughout the United States. Additionally, the amount of chlorine that is used for this purpose is particularly high during the summer, since warm weather conditions favor bacterial overgrowth. For this reason, chlorination is heaviest in the southern parts of the country.

Fluoride  (flourine)

Flouride is a poison that is surpassed only by arsenic for its toxicity, yet it has routinely been added to public drinking water and toothpaste in the U.S. since the 1950s, and today the EPA and other health agencies continue to insist that it is safe despite evidence of the multiple health risks it poses, including increasing the risk of cancer.

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 11:44:21 am »
Iffen you believe everything the “government” (EPA, NHI, etc.) tells you, …. then you are more likely to die of “fear” …. than you are of the toxicity claims they are touting.

Interesting point of view. When I was speaking about this to a local dealer (I live in Savannah) who sells a lot of crystal, he was skeptical too. He said "It's odd how people fret over the lead content in pewter but no one even blinks about drinking from leaded crystal."
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:47:32 am by Bradley »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 02:14:25 pm »
Lead crystal is sealed within the glass,, pewter is not !!

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:47 pm »
Not sure I understand. This may be a stupid question, but isn't the lead somehow melted and mixed within the glass/crystal, similar to the different elements that are melted and mixed to comprise alloys like pewter and brass?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 03:15:14 pm by Bradley »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 04:32:49 pm »
Well,, not sure if it makes a difference or not but lead crystal,,in my mind,, would be less risky since it is more or less hardened within the glass mixture !!  A pewter plate is fairly soft and has nothing between the food and whatever the pewter mix is made of !!  May not be correct but thats just the way I see it !!  Then again,, I am 65 years old,,I grew up with lead paint and probably ate my share as a kid,,I also played with left over asbestos insulation since my family was in the building business !!  I never heard of anyone back then that had lead poisoning nor anyone getting sick from the asbestos !!  Keep in mind that I do not mean those workers that had to breath the microscopic particles for years !!  That is where the problem is,, not the occasional exposure !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 06:15:22 pm »
One thing @ the heart of the lead 'issue' is the fact that pretty much all lead on this planet has it's origin in the element uranium (lead is old , depleted uranium) .

But don't mind me ... all the kids in my neighborhood(s) played with mercury at one point or another (is that why people say we are 'unique'?) & had many items painted or primed with lead paint .

:P
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "