Author Topic: Antique Sussel-Washington Artist Style Oil Painting on Wood Board  (Read 4797 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

I need your help to determine the age of this Folk Art.  It's an original 8" X 5 1/4" oil on wood board 1/4" thickness.  The painting depicting a revolutionary war soldier which is very similar to the Sussel-Washington Artist painting of George and Martha Washington (Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center,).  I acquired this at a Salvation Army several years ago in Georgia (USA).  It is inscribed on back.  Unable to locate any information on the inscription.  A very unique original folk art piece.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Photos below.  Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Sussel-Washington Artist Style Oil Painting on Wood Board
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »
From what I could see that style board is not that old !!  What does it say on back ??  Written in pencil and  could not make it out !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 03:37:47 pm »
Hi Mart,

Thanks for your reply.  On the back is in pencil "Vivian D. Stubbs, did it all by her self, give her all your thanks pleas",From,  Breadn(?)Stubbs & mother Stubbs, Vivan D. Stubbs.  (the Breadn is a little illegible to me, but that what I can make of it).

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:51:59 pm »
Can you take a close up of the edge of that board !!~ May not be what I thought at first !!  Just need to check !!  I did not find anything in a search for Vivian D. Stubbs  except on facebook,, there is one there with that name !!  Did not find a sales record !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 09:16:38 pm »
Hi Matt,

I also looked in Lancaster for a Stubbs in Lancaster County and found it was or is a large family named Stubb in the census report. (?) Attached is updated pictures. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:56 am »
Well, I was right the first time,,it is a compressed and glued wood so its probably 1930 or after !!  Not sure when they started making that stuff !!  The language used would indicate whoever wrote the inscription on the back was not well educated so would look in more country areas !! The Breadn could be a version of Braden just written the way it sounded to them !!
That said however,, the first thing I would do is to see if I could find the same pic done by another folk artist or anyone for that matter !!  Since the pic is more colonial its always possible that this one is a copy and intended to fool buyers !!  Some folk art sells for big bucks !!  The wood it is done on and the newness of it would make me take a serious second look !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 11:23:48 am »
Hi Mart,

It sounds good to me.  I am still trying to locate other similar German Faktur Artist to compare, also it is a strong possibility that drawing  is from a rural area.  Most items that I find originates in the South US.  I am intrigued by the subject drawing, at first it was to me just a drawing of a revolutionary war soldier.  Then I ran across the history of the Sussel-Washington Artist with very similar patterns and decided to look a little deeper.  I agree the inscription tells a story.  Thanks for your input, I could not began to guess any date, the 30's is a great start.  Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:02:32 pm »
Let us know what you find !!  Is that a galvanized roofing nail in one pic ??  Head looks a little small but thats what it looks like !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 07:46:10 am »
Hi Mart,

I not really sure about the nail.  A little ignorant. I attempted to take a close up but I had problems with the resolution.  I thought I'll send them anyway. If the pictures help with your visual what does it tell you about the drawing?  Picture below.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 07:29:33 pm »
Nope,, just regular steel nail !!  Doesn`t really tell anything about the painting,,Was still working on age of it !!  Still says "not old" !!~

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:41 pm »
Hi Mart,

Thanks for the reply.  No new information yet.  I will keep you posted.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 06:55:43 am »
I don’t think it is pre-1900, but most likely post-1930 because the poor folk “starving artist” types didn’t have access to factory made building materials or specialty made artist supplies.

To wit:

Plywood was introduced into the United States in 1865 and industrial production started shortly after. In 1928, the first standard-sized 4 ft by 8 ft (1.2 m by 2.4 m) plywood sheets were introduced in the United States for use as a general building material.

Artists use plywood as a support for easel paintings  to replace traditional canvas or cardboard. Ready-made artist boards for oil painting in three-layered plywood (3-ply) were produced and sold in New York as early as 1880
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plywood 
------------

Given the above, it could be a post-1880 artist board ... but like I said above, .... a starving artist wouldn't have purchased it.

Given the fact it was nailed to the wall ... infers it was done by a family member or close friend.

To actually authenicate it .... you would have to get the paint and/or the glue analyzed (dated).

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 07:26:58 am »
Good Morning Cougar,

Thank you!  Great information.  With the inscription on the back the probability of it being painted by a family member is very strong.  It was probably painted by a child or a disable person.  As mention earlier in this thread, I was intrigued by the subject of painting.  I tried researching the family name (with no success) and then begin to look for the "subject" drawings.  When I found the information on the Sussel-Washington Artist's title for the subject (George Washington) I begin to wonder.  I find it a very interesting piece . The drawing (painting) is an exact copy of the George Washington image from the self taught artist (SWA).  One of the primary reasons I wanted to try and date it.  I love this type of mystery and I am learning a lot.  Thanks again. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »
I was afraid it was a copy of an existing piece !!  I didn`t check the one you referenced,,been in the garden and only have a bit of time on rest breaks !!  It is an interesting piece and a good buy whatever it is !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 06:07:58 am »
Hi Mart,

Funny, I did not find any other copies to compare with.