Author Topic: Crystal/Glass Pigs?  (Read 2245 times)

saveandelain

• View Profile
Crystal/Glass Pigs?
« on: May 12, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »
Hello, I found this forum via google, which was unhelpful with my question, so I hope you all can help (if so, this won't be my last question)

I acquired these crystal? glass pigs, and someone else who wanted them acted like they were pretty old and possibly valuable. I'm very skeptical but want to be sure. They are heavy, very solid glass and they are definitely pigs. The bigger one is 7 or 8 inches tall I guess (don't have them in front of me right now).

Can someone help me identify them? I can't even find a picture online of anything similar. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Crystal/Glass Pigs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 04:59:57 pm »
Am I seeing correctly that the top is clear (the pig) and the base/bottom is frosty/frosted?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

saveandelain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 07:33:34 pm »
Am I seeing correctly that the top is clear (the pig) and the base/bottom is frosty/frosted?

No, that's my bad photography. It's a consistently clear glass, although maybe a little dusty. They were found in an attic. The "frosted" look may be coming from the angle, but it's really very clear throughout.

It is thicker at the base. It's shaped like if a pig got into the pro football hall of fame and this was the bust.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 07:35:07 pm by saveandelain »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »
And nothing is written on the bottom ??  The smaller one looks like maybe a paperweight !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:56 pm »
Betting they are the lead crystal.  Also betting not a top name one like a Steubin, Baccarat, etc because they would have been marked.

These most likely had foil labels (like Princess House) that have long been gone.

Try looking for lead crystal pig paper weights and see if that brings up any similar.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:42:44 am »
Waterford and Lenox use those foil stick on labels !!

saveandelain

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 03:15:41 pm »
In case anyone cares, it appears I have this figured out (thanks to the internets, not my work)...it appears to be this Steuben pig

(I hope this link is okay, it's a closed auction) http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-STEUBEN-4-5-034-STANDING-PIG-8378-CRYSTAL-SIGNED-PAPERWEIGHT-ART-GLASS-/251946820951

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 04:09:23 pm »
Look really carefully. Marks etched in crystal are very hard to see unless you turn them to the right light and focus on the right plane. Putting a finger print on the glass as a depth focal point helps. My wife bought a covered Waterford dish and did not see the signature until a day later. I found a Kosta Boda piece where the mark was so tiny I could not read it without a loop. As soon as I saw these I thought they were from a major crystal artisan. I worked in Bloomingdales crystal and have seen pieces like these from Lalique and others.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 05:30:40 pm »
If Steuben it will be signed somewhere !! Nice find !!