Author Topic: Tatt or antique?  (Read 1061 times)

Dusty

• View Profile
Tatt or antique?
« on: May 20, 2015, 11:19:23 am »
I recently inherited this rather unusual table. Turned wood with bobbin feet. looks like there might be some inlay in the top that has been painted over. The wood is dark under the black paint and a little rough. I've had someone call it a sofa table. While a bit rickety, it has some charm so not quite sure whether it is something to hold onto. Very grateful if anyone has an idea of what it is and possible age? Thanks so much in advance.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Tatt or antique?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »
Call it sofa table, lamp table or occasional table !!  A spindle turned Victorian Revival probably from around 1900 !!  Some of these were so dark they look black !! Try cleaning the top off well and see if the inlay can be seen !! If its dark from years of layered dust/smoke try using some baking soda and dish soap/water as a mild scrub to clean it !! Wipe off with clear water afterward !! Then a light furniture oil to brighten it up !!  But if you are going to restore it or re-glue the joints don`t oil till everything is done !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tatt or antique?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:14:47 pm »
What are the dimensions of the piece?  Could also be a hall table!

Try and clean up the top and take another pic for us to see please!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!