Author Topic: John Breuner 1899 -1900's 5 piece parlor set  (Read 4583 times)

snadoodles

• View Profile
John Breuner 1899 -1900's 5 piece parlor set
« on: May 23, 2015, 07:43:16 am »
I have a 5 piece antique parlor set that I purchased from a woman several years ago.  It had been in her family since it was purchased in 1899 or 1900.  It is in beautiful condition.  Was wondering if anyone might know how much it might be worth.  There is a couch, a gentleman's chair, two petite chairs, and a rocking chair.  Strong built with dark wood.  Upholstery is original and in great condition with very little wear and no tears.  I have a photograph of the woman's grandmother lying in her coffin with the gentlemen's chair to the right in the background.  The grandmother died in 1905.  Any help would be very much appreciated.  Thank you, Sandra

mart

• View Profile
Re: John Breuner 1899 -1900's 5 piece parlor set
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:38:25 am »
Can you post a pic please ??  We need to see the style of the set !!  Just one piece is fine if they all match and a pic of any label, name, writing of any kind that it has on it !!

snadoodles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:12:00 am »
Thank you for responding.  We're in the middle of a remodel and it's a little difficult to get to all of the pieces but here are a couple of pictures of one of the chairs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:38:01 am by snadoodles »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 01:25:27 pm »
Those are fine !!  May I ask how you came by the name ??  John Breuner ??

snadoodles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:36:47 am »
The woman who sold us the set included a note in the envelope telling us when and where the furniture was purchased, along with a short history about about it.  So really, I'm not even sure if John Bruener made the furniture or if he just sold the set to her Grandparents.  I looked over a couple of chairs and can't seem to find any markings.  It looks like someone added a covering on the bottom side of the furniture.  Might try pulling it off one of the pieces and see if there's some kind of clue under there (?).

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:28 am »
First off, the piece that you are displaying is a gorgeous piece.  Will have to see the others before I can make any summations.  I also know that the others will need to see more pictures.

It is really amazing and exciting that you have history on the furniture as well as a photo to go along with it.

I take it that you are in California?  Because at the timeline that this was purchased they only had stores in California and then soon after in Nevada.  The John Bruener Furniture Company was established in 1856
https://www.flickr.com/photos/skipmoore/5570939547/

Bruener Furniture was not the top/elite furniture but ended up establishing itself as a high end furniture eventually becoming purchased by Marshall Fields.  They filed bankruptcy in 2004 (closing all stores) and still operate today solely with online sales.  http://breuners.com/
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:00:55 am »
http://breuners.com/about

Well,, it looks like Breuners Home Furniture Stores are just retailers,,not mfrs !!  No point in taking the dust cover off !!  Only rarely was furniture marked on the piece itself !! Your set is Empire Revival in style and was likely made between 1860 and 1880 although you could give or take a few years either way but that is my judgement !!  Walnut is what it looks like !!   Both walnut and mahogany were the common woods of that period !!  Did you match the fabric with the pic you have ??  Would be very unusual for the fabric to be original as it tends to rot over the years and back then they did not treat fabric with preservatives of any kind as far as I know !!  Could it have been matched with a newer fabric at some point ??

snadoodles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:53:18 am »
Thank you so much for the information you have provided.  I have attached a picture of the photograph that was given to us with the furniture.  You can see a glimpse of the chair on the right side of the picture.  Considering the probable age of the furniture, it is very likely that it was reupholstered.  Do you have any idea what this set would sell for?  We are moving overseas in December and I'll need to sell it but don't have any idea what to list it for.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 01:27:13 pm »
Yes I can see it but not well enough to see the upholstery !! No matter on that though,, if reupholstered it appears to be well done and in good condition !! The thing about a selling price is it takes a specific style house to appeal to the owner !! Something like this set would look way out of place in todays homes but great in a 19th century Victorian !!  Its good that its a 5 piece set,, would be difficult to match otherwise !! In my opinion,, and depending on your location I think $1750. would be a good start price !! You can deal from there if needed !!  It may not be a fast sale though so give it time !!  Like I said,, it appeals to a certain kind of buyer !!

snadoodles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 02:03:52 pm »
It's good to know the value and where to start in selling this set.  Bummer part is that I paid $2,500.00 for it about 15 years ago.  Should have looked into it before purchasing it.  Have thoroughly enjoyed having it in my home though.  Thanks again for your help!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:53:27 pm »
Well, Not really,, you did OK !!  The problem with antique furniture is,, its kind of like the stock market !!  Up one day,, down the next !!   We are not that far apart !!  If you are in a metro area you probably could get $2500. so why not start there ??  I try to give a realiistic price for most areas,, but much does depend on where you are and what your market is !!  List at $2500. and see what happens !!  You can always come down,, so go for it!!
Just let us know what happens !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »
When you can show pics of all the pieces, please post them.  You will have to have them to sell them as well.

Need to see pieces/condition, etc.  Depending on area does make a difference in pricing.  I can't wait to see what the other pieces look like - especially the rocker and couch.

Is it a couch or settee?

What do you mean by petite chairs?  armless?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 03:37:55 pm »
Is that a post mortem photo? There could be some value to that. Check eBay.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 06:11:35 pm »
It is, Greenacres !!  Rather than selling the photo,,I would use it as a selling point !!  "Last used in a wake",,,!!  There are many people who would purchase the set because of that fact !!  There are some people in this world that collect death related items !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »
That photo can bring $$$.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."