Author Topic: oriental leather stool?  (Read 1458 times)

kluksu

• View Profile
oriental leather stool?
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:23:26 am »
hello every one,
doe's any one know any thing about this stool?
is it an antique? where is it from? whats the value ?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: oriental leather stool?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:49:12 pm »
Hi!  What makes you think it is Oriental?  Also, can you please post a picture of the bottom of the stool and state the dimensions of the stool.  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kluksu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 05:25:40 am »
i dont know if its oriental, some guy at an furniture store told me that he thinks it from india,  that is why its with a question mark :)
here are the photos, there is something written there but i cant read it :\

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:17:36 am »
Can you please post a little clearer picture of the writing on the bottom?  (Take picture out in natural daylight might help.)

My first impression was that the stool is a variation of what is known as a "saddle stool".  They have been made all over the world, and are still being made today.  Some are seen with plain leather while others had "tooling" done (such as yours).  Yours has a nice tooled decoration on it.  However, I don't see any design on yours to indicate a particular culture/religion/country. 

Here is a picture of another "saddle stool" in the sling style.  (Traditional saddle stools were made to fit on the back of camels and became a very popular tourist item in the early 1900's.  They have since been made in all manners in all areas of the world.)  Notice on the one the curved legs that could have fit on a camel back - however, the supports and construction prove that it was NEVER made to truly be used for this and was for decorative purposes. 
https://www.harpgallery.com/showroom/item12544.html

Many times you see these sling stools constructed to fold up such as this:
http://www.treadwaygallery.com/ONLINECATALOGS/December2005/catalog/images/large/0854.jpg

However, yours appears to be a permanent stool/bench construction.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kluksu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 09:53:10 am »
is this better? i think that the writing is just not very clear, it is english but that is all i can understand, another thing i noticed is that there are eyes on the leather i marked it with a circle, it looks like a kind of dragon to me, what do you think?