Author Topic: Help with Bronze(?) Mark - Asian Subject Matter  (Read 1953 times)

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
Help with Bronze(?) Mark - Asian Subject Matter
« on: June 05, 2015, 11:52:48 am »
I've had this for some time and just cannot find any meaningful help with it.  See images but I believe this is a bronze.  Asian horse and carriage subject.  The piece has significant and layered patina.   It measures 9" x 3" x 4" high and weighs roughly 6 lbs.  The mark is on the base and on the back of the carriage and is a head profile in a circle. 

Here are some pictures and I sure would appreciate any help at all.

Thanks!
Megan
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Help with Bronze(?) Mark - Asian Subject Matter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 12:48:34 pm »
We have a person well versed in Asian antiques. He should be along soon. It looks Chinese to me and quite old but that is no an expert opinion by any means.

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 02:07:12 pm »
Thanks so much frogpatch for letting me know :)
I will hope he gives it a look then.
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 03:29:29 am »
Hi, your chariot certainly is Chinese. The closest parralel I could find is this one in stone: http://store.barakatgallery.com/index.php/antiquity/chinese/ming-dynasty/ming-stone-sculpture-of-a-chariot-rider-horse-and-attendents.html . The dealer dates it to the Ming Dynasty and gives also a description. However, this is the only other one I saw. The mark is really strange, I have never seen one like this on Chinese bronzes (but I am not a real expert for these). Also the patina looks a bit too "heavy" to me, so I would tend to think that this is a modern creation that was made to look old ( Chinese are really good in faking patina! ). But that is only my personal impression and you should not take it for granted! If you want to be sure, you could show this to an auction house with a specialized department for Asian art, or maybe you could post it here to hear other opinions too: http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php
I hope that helped a bit!
Mat  :)

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:42:23 am »
Hi Mat,
Thank you so much!  This helps quite a bit.  I will absolutely add it to the forum you suggest here and see if they have any thoughts on it.  Interesting, what you mentioned about the patina.  It's certainly worth looking around a bit more; these things are always a mystery but I go into them almost expecting them to be nothing (lol -- best to manage expectations).  Let me ask you (if you might know) If it was a more modern replica of some kind, what would it typically be made of?

Thanks again!
Megan

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 12:12:24 pm »
I do not know for sure but it could be bronze very well!