Author Topic: Would anyone know a very early E. G. Eisenlohr painting?  (Read 2106 times)

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
Would anyone know a very early E. G. Eisenlohr painting?
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:36:23 pm »
I have a painting that after doing the research I could, I discovered was an Edward G. Eisenlohr.  The signature on this painting is clear.  The thing is Eisenlohr was a landscape painter.  I did have someone who was interested in this artist tell me that this was likely a very early Eisenlohr piece - perhaps done while he was studying.

So I did more research and after he had already made a name for himself as an artist, he was invited to join Gustave Schoenleber's class at the Grand-ducal Academy of Fine Arts in Karlsruhe, Germany, where he studied for two years (1907–08).  I read that he was working with "dark impressionism" there.  It wasn't until he came to Texas that he discovered his calling for a lighter brush and landscapes. 

It's also my understanding that while studying (in that era) painters would often do this kind of work.  The final and most clear clue is the the framers mark on the back - clearly German.  So...given that information, I believe this piece was one of his earliest works while studying in Germany.

If anyone had additional information it would be great.  I am also hoping to get a rough idea of value.

Thanks!

Megan
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."

mart

• View Profile
Re: Would anyone know a very early E. G. Eisenlohr painting?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:02:28 pm »
Wow !! Those corner keys look like a jigsaw puzzle but its what one would expect !!  Can you take a close up of the signature ??  It is not unusual for an artist to go through different styles before settling on one that suits him or her !!

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 09:13:51 pm »
Hi Mart, thanks so much for taking a look.
Here is a closer shot of the signature.  Let me know if that will do or not
:)
Megan
"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »
It is too dark for me to see properly but looks like just initials ??  Is that correct ?? This is an old computer,, mine is out for repairs !!

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 01:50:35 pm »
Hey Mart,
I could try lightening it up more but yes, it is his typical signature which is the initials  -  E. G.

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 02:00:15 pm »
If it will help, I did this closer shot which is a super high contrast so the signature is more pronounced.

Thanks again :)
Megan

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:37:15 pm »
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/smu/00238/smu-00238.html

I checked five different sources and according to what I found,,E.G. Eisenlohr always signed with his initials and last name !! I did not find one where he used his first and middle initial as a signature !! Pretty good little history above !!  I do not think this is his work !! He clearly concentrated on landscapes and street scenes !! I will try to look through the artists list tomorrow and see if there is another artist who may have signed this way and painted in a different style !! It looks like nice work,,now to find the artist !!

Megan

• View Profile
    • Sublime stuFF™
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:54:42 pm »
Hey mart, thanks so much for helping me look! :)
If you do wind up looking around more, I think you will see something a little different. Here is one link for example:
http://www.artnet.com/artists/edward-g-eisenlohr/past-auction-results
It's interesting because he has several signatures - just the first 2 initials, the 3 initials, the first two and the last name.  Then there are pieces where below the painting he pencil signed E. G. Eisenlohr in script and on others the E. G. is in print with the Eisenlohr in script.  So, in looking over lots of his work we see lots of signature styles.
This definitely is a tough one to run down - mainly because it's so early.  It would appear that it pre-dates his landscape work so I stay hopeful that I can get more information and a value on it and I sure thank you again for helping!
:)
Megan