Author Topic: How safe is the wiring in old floor lamps?  (Read 5789 times)

Bradley

• View Profile
How safe is the wiring in old floor lamps?
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:16:37 am »
Not that any antique store would sell a lamp that is a fire hazard, but I have seen my share of floor lamps that according to labels were from the 1920s and 30s. My question is simple: How safe is that old wiring?

I am attracted to the ones whose shafts are brass or copper with onyx or marble accents. Here is a close-up of one such specimen, with the seller maintaining that it is from the 1920s. Haven't bought it yet, but I am thinking about this one as a replacement for a modern-day piece of crap that is only 5 years old and is already falling apart. The photography here does not do the lamp any favors (cell-phone photo in a poorly-lit room) but in "real life" that really is brass with onyx.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:19:54 am by Bradley »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: How safe is the wiring in old floor lamps?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:35 am »

If the insulation on the lamp cord is cracked or broken …. then it should be rewired.

Nice lamp, from what I can see, ….. so if you like it, buy it.

It only takes a few minutes to rewire one …. or you could take it to your friendly hardware store and they would do it for you.

All that's needed is say 10' of lamp cord and a "snap-on" electrical plug

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 02:30:50 pm »
Here is a tip or two from an old lighting guy. In the business for decades. Rewire a lamp from the socket. Never take off the nut on the base. The socket is in two pieces. Remove the top shell of the socket by squeezing it and remove the wires from the screw terminals. Leave the socket base in place. If the socket switch is shot try to replace just the guts. They are usually good. Pull the wire out through the base of the lamp. It looks like you may have a bridge lamp there which would have an arm that holds the socket. The socket shell would be threaded on the outside to take an Uno shade which screws on to the outside of the socket shell. They still make them and they are available on line.
If you can't get the new wire from the bottom of the lamp though the arm use a piece of picture hanging wire to pull it up from the base though the socket. If you have a long piece of beaded chain that is even better as it will use gravity to find its way. Once you get the wire through, connect the terminals of the socket and replace the shell. Avoid taking an old floor lamp apart or even loosening it. It will drive you crazy trying to get it tight again as there is usually less than a half inch or total thread tolerance. If you can't find a Uno shade a regular washer shade can be fitted under the socket but be careful not to let the parts get loose. The advice from Cogar is correct too. Never splice a new wire to the old one to save time. You or a child could get a nasty shock one day.

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:32:38 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. Like the idea of a using a picture hanging wire to help get the electrical wire through the base. I think I will look up the procedure you described on youtube (where there seems to be a tutorial for EVERYTHING these days) so I can visualize it better.

Here are some photos of the lamp. Lots of crud and patina to clean, but with the brass and stones highly polished, you can imagine it must have been a fine piece or work in its heyday. Haven't bought it yet. I have some transportation issues to address first. But I think it will be there awhile, because it is a bit of a fixer-upper.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:38:15 pm by Bradley »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 07:53:39 pm »
OK !!  I am a woman and I can rewire one in about 10 minutes !! Sort of like Frogpatch said but I cut the plug off and strip the covering off the wire, then twist both wires together and secure them with electrical tape then after removing the socket, harp and stuff fom the top ( few screws, no big deal) I just pull the wire through from the top !! When you have it pulled then just replace the socket same as you removed it !!  Easy !! Helps if you have it laying on the floor or on a table to get the wire through !! In case you have to push on the bottom and pull at the top !!  I just buy a heavy duty home extension cord in the length I need and cut off the end !! That way the wall plug is already attached !! One less step !!

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:36:22 pm »
Cool! Happy to hear that this is not exactly re-building a rocket engine in terms of technical background required. LOL.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 05:19:01 am »
Right on, Mart.

Never pull the old wire out ..... without first attaching the new wire, a string or fishing line to it. Especially gooseneck lamps.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 11:34:15 am »
Ever have an old wire break or get stuck? I have in the hundreds of lamps I have rewired. It is not fun when that happens. Very often the connection of the two wires is too thick and jams at a bend or joint. Then you try to force it and you are left with a blob of tape stuck inside the lamp. That lamp has a spice box. It is a piece of cake to do it. No arm like I thought. 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 11:43:43 am »
That is what I love about this forum!  It is about helping to "re-life" vintage/antique/older pieces while still retaining the integrity of the piece!  Lots of years of experience to share and is shared so freely!

I have got to say I have been putting off a project to rewire an old lamp and to make a lamp out of a few things.  This has inspired me to get off my duff and start on projects again!  :)

Thanks ya'll!  When I get them done I will post them on the Projects section!  If you get the lamp done, please post it on the Projects section as well!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:36:55 pm »
Sometimes one might consider purchasing 'old stock' (be careful with this category of stock) silk-wrapped replacement cord for old lamps , or newly manufactured silk-wrapped replacement wires , so as to replicate the original wiring of such items .

Having seen many 1920-1940 electrical lamps thru the years , I've often found that they've been 'rewired' to function , but not always in a safe manner , esp with plastic light socket assemblies that are not really rated for the wattage that the original ceramic socket assemblies were .

Another point to consider checking is/are any paper or plastic 'tube or floral' elements in these old little fellers , such as used to imitate a candle , foliage (& etc) .... sometimes they do dry out & become friable & flammable (esp the ones made from celluloid !) .

Cool little item there , Bradley (and great advice from members) !
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 03:49:35 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:26:14 pm »
Thanks! The only other task I will have to address is polishing the stone adequately. I have seen the style (brass with onyx ornaments) here in a few other lamps in other stores. It must have been trendy at one time.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 10:08:12 pm »
There have even been some modern reproductions within the past 8 - 10 years but you can tell from the immediate glance it is cheaply made.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 05:29:57 am »
That style lamp usually had a silk shade with fringe. They often had pull ropes attached for easy switching. Surviving examples are very rare as the shades decompose is dry or damp places like attics and basements

Bradley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 08:14:47 am »
Very interesting. What year is that advertisement? Looking around the edges for a date.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 09:22:40 am »
All I could find is that Robert Hance & Son were in business in Red Bank, New Jersey in 1905 and opened in late 1800's.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 09:32:34 am by KC »