Author Topic: Pewter, Tin, Bronze - Help!  (Read 1061 times)

atticcleaning

• View Profile
Pewter, Tin, Bronze - Help!
« on: July 14, 2005, 12:31:55 pm »
Hi.  I'm a newbie who is seriously hoping that someone can give me some sound advice.  I have a platter that was given to me many years ago.  It was owned by my 97 (no longer lucid) yr old grandmother.  I am trying to determine what it is, and what it is worth.  I'm not sure that it is not Sterling Silver.  

To me it looks like pewter, although I can't say that I have ever seen anything pewter other than cheap novelty jewelry.  The platter is approx 10" x 14", is a grayish metal that looks 'dented' and also has a very intricate flower off to one side that looks like it was either carved or perhaps overlaid.  The handles on each side of the platter are ornate - almost carved and are attached in a sodered bolt type manner.

The only 'info' carved on the back of the tray is the following;

A tiny colonial looking solder holding a musket/rifle.  There is an arch going over the solder-> It says " [size=8]TRADE[/size] CONTINENTAL [size=8]MARK[/size].  Under the solder, in script is says "Hand Wrought" and below that is the number "623"

I can't hold on to this any longer, but don't want to just throw it out in case it is worth something.  I have searched the web extensively trying to come up with something - Nothing.  I was about to get in the car, and take it to a few Antique shops listed in the phone book who do "Free Appraisals."    I somehow stumbled into this forum, and decided that perhaps before I go anywhere with this, someone may have some advice for me.

How do i even begin to tell what type of metal this is?

Thanks for the time.
Attic
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 08:32:43 am by atticcleaning »