Author Topic: Pitcher & Chamber Pot ....?  (Read 1812 times)

Pelady

• View Profile
Pitcher & Chamber Pot ....?
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:18:43 pm »
This is very pretty could it be made for something as utilitarian as a chamber pot?  What could you sell it for?
8 in diameter at bottom, 5 & 1/2 inch opening, 6 inches tall.
Can not read the bottom it is blurred or smudged.  It has four rows, bottom two rows say:
Hand painted ,  Nippon
Top row has 5 or 6 letters  last 3 look like NNA

Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Pitcher & Chamber Pot ....?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:20:28 pm »
Pictures,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:26:41 pm »
Not a chamber pot !!  That would have had a lid and I have not seen a chamber pot with a pour spout !!  Yours is a pitcher !! Nippon means Japan,, it is their word for it and translated means "Island in the sun" or something similar !! I forget the exact wording and it depends on who you ask,, there are several variations !! You can look up the mark for Morimura Bros. who imported much of the Nippon ware to the U.S. !! I think they were in NY !!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:57:07 pm »
Thanks Mart
What kind of value would it have without the lid?
PeLady

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:13 pm »
Since yours is a pitcher it would not have had a lid !!  I can`t see the mark well enough to tell what it is !! Can you try to get a closer and clearer one ?? Sometimes you can tell the age by the mark that was used !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:11:59 am »
I have a pitcher that I inherited that is the same shape/style as yours.  Over the years I have seen it called a 1) pitcher, 2) milk pitcher, 3) water pitcher a 4) lemonade pitcher and a 5) cider pitcher!  :)

However, yours n mine do not have an "ice lip" on the pouring spout to keep the ice from pouring out (this was a newer innovation on this style for lemonade pitchers).

Bottom line, it was a very popular style pitcher! If you search "Nippon cider pitcher" you will find many, many in the same pitcher style.

Wish i could see your makers' mark better.  The most common that you see these days is the "China O-H Nippon". 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 03:53:45 pm »
Thanks KC
The cider pitchers are beautiful.    It could say China , then 2 letters followed by O H
Could not get any better photos.
PeLady