Author Topic: Help with an old photo.... What is it?  (Read 1313 times)

rjencks

• View Profile
Help with an old photo.... What is it?
« on: June 30, 2015, 06:20:16 am »
I received this from a family member as a gift and would like to know what it is and an approx. age.

The photo, head on looks embossed or three dimensional. If you look at it from the side, it looks completely flat inside the frame.
The back of the frame is a cedar shingle, with square cut nails holding the shingle secure in the frame.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Help with an old photo.... What is it?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »
I sure can't exactly tell , from your posted images , as to the age & origin of your cool little item , rjencks ... I won't let that stop me from posting some input ... :)

The dark 'background' with the oval center appears to be matting for a colorized lithograph , or maybe photograph .

Stuff like as indicated on the frame (nails , wire , paper & etc.) kinda leads me towards the thought that the frame may be from the 1940's to 1870's , & prob. not  original to the litho/photo within it ....

The matting for sure looks as if it has been cut by hand ... I'm wondering if the red coloring around the oval looks as if it has been hand-painted ?

If I were you , I'd remove the frame & have a close look @ all that is hidden & maybe find a clue or two !

Do you have any history that you can share about it ?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:54:55 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

rjencks

• View Profile
Re: Help with an old photo.... What is it?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:48 am »
I sure can't exactly tell , from your posted images , as to the age & origin of your cool little item , rjencks ... I won't let that stop me from posting some input ... :)

The dark 'background' with the oval center appears to be matting for a colorized lithograph , or maybe photograph .

Stuff like as indicated on the frame (nails , wire , paper & etc.) kinda leads me towards the thought that the frame may be from the 1940's to 1870's , & prob. not  original to the litho/photo within it ....

The matting for sure looks as if it has been cut by hand ... I'm wondering if the red coloring around the oval looks as if it has been hand-painted ?

If I were you , I'd remove the frame & have a close look @ all that is hidden & maybe find a clue or two !

Do you have any history that you can share about it ?

Hidden treasures indeed!!

I took it out of the frame and found this..... It is an embossed print by Alfred S. Campbell and the Avery L. Rand Company was liquidated in 1909.