Author Topic: Mayell Gold Plated Shell Butter Dish  (Read 1330 times)

Andela87

• View Profile
Mayell Gold Plated Shell Butter Dish
« on: July 05, 2015, 08:55:45 am »
Hello! Hoping someone can help me. My great grandmother had this Mayell gold plated shell butter dish that I received after she passed away about 15 years ago. I recently came across it again when I was cleaning out the house and out of curiosity decided to look it up to see what it was worth. Thing is, I can't find a gold plated Mayell shell butter dish anywhere! I see lots of information about the silver plated ones, but I can't even find mention of the gold plated. It looks like there were very few made (there's a sticker on the box that says 74/141 so I'm not sure if 141 is all that were made?). It says 24 karat on the box as well. I've attached a few pictures if that helps. Anyone have any idea what this is worth?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Mayell Gold Plated Shell Butter Dish
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 09:19:24 am »
Hi!  Welcome to the forum.

These shell shaped butter/caviar servers were very popular in the early 1900's.  Unfortunately, popularity decreased. 

Although not as abundant as the silverplate butter servers, the value of these haven't increased over time.  You can get silverplate for .99 to $29 (they usually have a glass dish insert).  The gold lined sells for the same price range.  If it was sterling silver it would sell for considerably more.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Andela87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:26:45 am »
Darn! And here I was thinking I had something of value ;)

Thanks for the reply!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 09:51:36 am »
It is of value!  You just won't be able to retire on it's value.  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!