Author Topic: Chinese Agate? Teapot  (Read 2397 times)

bushytail

• View Profile
Chinese Agate? Teapot
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:42:37 am »
This teapot was bought in Hong Kong in the 1950's and I was told it was some kind of jade though I haven't been able to find any jade that looks like it and think it is probably agate or something like that.
I would be very happy if someone could tell me more about it like what it is made of and what it might be worth  :)

konniem56

• View Profile
Re: Chinese Agate? Teapot
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:47:48 am »
This look it could be marble??????

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:45:13 am »
In an inconspicuous place see if you can make a small scratch on it.  Is it easy to scratch or hard? 

Trying to figure out if it is soapstone or marble from the pic is hard because the feel, weight, coolness, etc helps in determining.  It isn't Jadeite (real or what is passed off as Jadeite.)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bushytail

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 02:36:44 pm »
In an inconspicuous place see if you can make a small scratch on it.  Is it easy to scratch or hard? 

Trying to figure out if it is soapstone or marble from the pic is hard because the feel, weight, coolness, etc helps in determining.  It isn't Jadeite (real or what is passed off as Jadeite.)
I never heard mention of items like this being made of marble, at least back in the day, though they are commonly made from agate and the closest I have found so far which is very similar is this Botswanan agate here http://www.sailorenergy.net/Minerals/MLAgates/AgateBotswanaAfrica13lg.jpg
I was hoping someone might have seen a similar agate used in chinese export ware as I haven't come across any so far.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 07:21:30 pm »
My best guess is that your item is made of jadeite or nephrite , bushytail .

Without a hands-on inspection , it's tough to tell what mineral was used , though .

Other slim possibilities would be onyx or alabaster , but not agate , IMO .

A quick (& polite) trip to a jeweler should tell you what's what !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:37:02 am »
This site is one that I recommend people go look at when they feel they have Jade/jadeite (that isn't really old in terms of antiques).  Then, go look further.

Unfortunately, people have pass items off a Jade all over the world.  This site helps get starting points for many by helping to identify by country of origin.
http://molly.kalafut.org/jade/fake.html

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 07:56:46 pm »
Could be a very low grade marble,,or soapstone !!~

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:01:15 pm »
When I first saw this it reminded me of polished or machined alabaster but I really don't know what it's made of.