Author Topic: Looking for info: "Parade Elephant" Wood Statue  (Read 1768 times)

rustyattic

• View Profile
Looking for info: "Parade Elephant" Wood Statue
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:06:45 pm »
Picked this up the other day at an estate sale.  They called it a parade elephant.  It's all wood, about 70lbs and measures 32" x 32" x 17"  The elephant is mounted to the base and the wheels still roll (a little labored, but it rolls)  Hoping someone can tell me where it's from ???

rustyattic

• View Profile
Re: Looking for info: "Parade Elephant" Wood Statue
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:09:11 pm »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »
Well,, it is decorated like the ones I have seen in parades although with those wheels you sure would not want to pull it along a parade route !!  I am sure it is more decorative rather than actually used in parades !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:39:42 pm »
Is there anything engraved on it anywhere?  On the underside?

Elephant items became extremely popular during the pre-war and post-war era.  They are still very collectible - however, the larger the items the more specialized the collector (which also diminishes the numbers able to afford n collect).

I seem to remember somewhere over the years coming across information that there were carved animals that were used for "pull along" riding toys for children.  Would this be the size for a small child to sit on?  Are there any "wear" signs from where someone would have sat on it?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 03:52:40 pm »
The style looks Indonesian to me, in particular the human's head. There are a lot of carved wood puppets that look a lot like the head.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

rustyattic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 08:33:48 pm »
No markings, that I can see.  Someone on facebook said that a similar elephant was used by a photographer at the Audubon Zoo, in New Orleans years ago.  I'm not having any luck finding a pic, though.  I'm gonna try searching postcards from the Audubon Zoo, maybe find a clue, there.  Also, while loading it, I discovered an umm "2nd trunk," on the underside.  Decorated like the rest of the piece.  Not sure if that's relevant or not.  :o