Author Topic: Help identifying maker on deer figurine  (Read 1754 times)

anniebee

• View Profile
Help identifying maker on deer figurine
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:45:31 am »
I have exhausted myself trying to determine the maker on this deer figurine. I have gotten answers from "it's from 1935" " occupied Japan" "definitely 50s-60s", but nothing definitive on the maker or year. Same for my search on the marking. It is about 7" tall and 5" wide. Help, please.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help identifying maker on deer figurine
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 06:46:54 pm »
I did not see a mark of any kind,, just country of origin !!  With no more than that you may be searching for the next ten years or so !!~  My guess is that it was mid century but no way to really know !!  You can`t tell just by looking at it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 10:55:53 am »
The style of this is seen mostly from 1950's and is likened to Bambi.

As far as the "Japan" notation on the bottom - this is quoted from Kovels which only strengthens the 1950's origination.
Most pieces marked with the name of a country were made after 1891, when the McKinley Tariff Act was passed. Pieces from Japan were marked “Nippon,” the transliteration of the Japanese word for Japan. After 1915 the words “Made in…” were usually added. Beginning in 1921, U.S. Customs required country names to be in English, and the word “Japan” was used instead of “Nippon.” Items marked “Made in Occupied Japan” were made between February 1947 and April 1952. After that, just the word “Japan” was used again. According to experts on 19th- and 20th-century Japanese ceramics, the color does not help date a mark. Red, green and black were used most years. There is no explanation for when other colors were used.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:57:32 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 09:03:22 pm »
Great info KC!
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

anniebee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 09:52:01 pm »
Yes, thank you KC. That was very helpful!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 11:32:22 pm »
:)  Hope it was helpful!  That's what we are all here for! 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!