Author Topic: Unique Incense Burner..I need more information  (Read 2148 times)

antiquehelp3031

• View Profile
Unique Incense Burner..I need more information
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:09:06 pm »
I purchase this incense burner from local flea market. It seems to be cast iron..very heavy. I don't know anything else about it, but can't seem to find one like it anywhere online. I have tried to add photos or links to the photos. Hopefully they will work. Can anyone help me? Thanks

antiquehelp3031

• View Profile
Re: Unique Incense Burner..I need more information
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:28:25 pm »
More Photos:

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:01:27 pm »
This is an Indian tribal bronze of Ravana, 20th century. Look here for comparison: http://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/2636.html
Mat

antiquehelp3031

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:06:21 pm »
This is an Indian tribal bronze of Ravana, 20th century. Look here for comparison: http://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/2636.html
Mat

I really appreciate the reply and link. I am very happy to see the comparison. I am interested in finding out the value of the item. I am currently searching online, but getting frustrated. What is the best way to determine the value?

antiquehelp3031

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:47:43 pm »
Well, obviously I shouldn't ask anything regarding the value of the item so quickly, but maybe someone can further help me with some other concerns here. I was thinking it is indeed the cast bronze, but then I decided to take a small magnet, and the Ravana figure seems to have a very small attraction to the magnet in areas. I have researched and researched, and I don't know how to tell if its really just cast iron or what. It looks so similar to the Ravana image in the link that was given by the previous poster. That description on the rare antique site says its "Cast Bronze".  The bottom does have a few screws which does pick up the magnet strongly, but as far as anything else its kind of strange. Can anyone help me with this? How do I know if this is an original or just some reproduction??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:21:38 pm »
Sorry,, but its nothing like that !!  Its literally because we do not know the value on such a unique item !!  In order to establish a value there must be past sales and I looked but found none !!  Mats link is all we had to go on and it did not give even what that one sold for !!  Mat is the most experienced person on things like yours but he is not here everyday like many of us are !!  I am sure he would not mind if you sent him a PM and asked if he knew what your item is valued at !! 
We are happy to give a estimated value,, when we know it !!  In your case we just do not know !! I apologize if you thought otherwise !!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 02:11:56 am »
Hi again, mart is right, I also just do not know what such an item is worth. Surely it depends strongly on where you sell it. You could show it to a dealer who is specialized on such items. I would guess that the metal of your figure is some alloy that contains iron, which would explain the magnetism.
Mat