Author Topic: An interesting inkwell, from the Crimea?  (Read 2143 times)

mariok54

• View Profile
An interesting inkwell, from the Crimea?
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:30:38 am »
Hello All,

It's been a while but I thought I'd run this one passed you all. I picked it up at a local Auction; it's an inkwell made up of a small cannon shot sitting on three grapeshots with a plaque that I think translates to Memory/Remembrance Sevastapol.
I'm fairly certain that the elements are original to the period of the Crimean War, but was it made at the time or more later as a tourist piece?
The photo of the botton is to keep mart happy.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:37:16 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: An interesting inkwell, from the Crimea?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:05:18 am »
Mmmm,,, Not sure about this one Mario !!  Something tells me it is either later made or possibly the base was added at  a later date !!  Have you done an internet search to see if similar inkwells can be found ??

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:25:12 am »
Mmmm,,, Not sure about this one Mario !!  Something tells me it is either later made or possibly the base was added at  a later date !!  Have you done an internet search to see if similar inkwells can be found ??

Hi mart,

This is exactly why I'm posting it here so I can take advantage of your vast knowledge and gut feelings ....  it's invaluable!
I look at it and the shot look fine, even the structure of the lid looks OK, but as with you the base looks not quite right. It is possible that when it was first made there was no base, and these two links will show why ....  I also posted this on the Fountain Pen Network and one of the other members came up with this:

http://pickelhaubes.....php?f=2&t=6531

Then I found this one .....

http://www.geneshapi...t.shtml?id=2277

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 06:38:09 pm »
The base may have been added shortly thereafter so as to not scratch a desktop...but it appears the base could be travertine, soapstone or a softer base than marble.  Marble would have held up much better. 

Now that I have confused the issue. 

However, here are others for sale or have already been at auction:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8881958_a-russian-cannonball-inkwell-and-pen-stand-c1853

http://www.civilwarantiqueshop.com/miscellaneous.htm

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:08:16 pm »
Could not see either of Mario`s pics but the liveauctioneer description sound exactly like the one Mario has !! The pic on KC`s last link looks exactly like I would have expected it to look !!  Without the base added !!  Doesn`t make sense to put feet on it then a marble base so the feet are not needed !!  The way the base is attached looks like it was a later addition to me !!  But,,, the starting bid was $300. with a $500. to $800. estimate so either way,,with base or without doesn`t sound bad !!  Depending on the purchase price of course !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:53:21 am »
Well found KC. I did see that Liveauctioneer one, and that was one of the links I posted that somehow 'broke'? That one was also a pen rest and went for an incredible $1800!

However, that second one you found from the Civil War site is almost identical to mine ... haven't been able as yet to blow them up to compare the script, but they look like  two peas from a pod. It is possible that this was a common sort of trench art during that period. And what a difference ... $18000 and $250!

The base, I am in agreement, probably was a later addition, and it's not as cool as marble should be, I don't think it's soapstone (pretty sure it's not)  and I think you're right with travertine.

Later on ...

I've had a chance to compare them, now, KC and they are almost identical, except mine has the 'later' stand. I am beginning to think that these were possibly made as early tourist pieces?  So not unique, but still possibly not all that common, and still interesting
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 01:37:17 am by mariok54 »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:47 am »
I agree most likely trench art (which is very collectible) and that it isn't very common.  Do believe that there are buyers out there for pieces like this that will pay some good money.

:)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!