Author Topic: Vintage West Germany Grandmother Clock  (Read 4602 times)

Bobbiejoe101

• View Profile
Vintage West Germany Grandmother Clock
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:41:46 am »
We came across this grandmothers clock for $75. We have got the clock to run. But, we found out that at the top of the hour it will only chime one time, no matter what the hour is. It has an uw32/1 clock movement in it.
The only information I have been able to find is if it is just chiming the wrong hour.
Would anybody have any ideas on what we might be able to do to correct this?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vintage West Germany Grandmother Clock
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:37 pm »
And that's all that is on the clock movement ?? uw32/1 ??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »
http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?108162-New-to-Forum-How-to-set-the-correct-hr-and-chime-on-a-Urgos-32-1

Had to look to see who the maker was,, had never heard of that one !!  Urgos Westminster !!  The thread above is on your clock,,different problem, but still on the chime and set !! As long as you do not ask about value,,the folks there should be able to help you !!  They do not give dollar and cents value !!

Bobbiejoe101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:33:31 am »
There is what looks like a serial number. I also did a search on that and came up nothing.
I tried to find a schematic on the movement.
I hate to say it but we may have to pull the movement out to get to the problem. We know that it has something to do with a gear that is kinda shaped like a half moon.
It had been a very long time that it had been run. The gears had cobwebs and even a dead bee in them. The suspense spring had broke and they wired the pendulum lead up. Removing some of the wire they used got her running again.
We are replacing the spring and the lead. We are also thinking about replacing the pendulum. We also will be replacing the chime block. (I think they damaged two of the eight bars when wiring things together.)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 07:51:54 am »
Most every “time & strike” clock has an “escapement” gear like the one pictured below on the left side with the 12 slots in it …. (instead of gear teeth).

That “escapement” gear is what determines the # of “dings” per each hour. There is a “lever” that rests in the “slot” to prevent the gear from turning. When the minute hand gets to 12 the “lever” will rise up and the gear will start turning ….. and the “chime” will begin striking. It will continue to “chime” until the lever falls back into the next slot on the gear. Thus, the distance between the “slots” determines the “# of chimes”.

If your clock only strikes one (1) time on the hour …. then my guess is that the “escapement” lever is not lifting up to permit the slotted gear to rotate. Thus the per se 12 o’clock “trip” for the “escapement” lever is probably fouled and/or needs to be adjusted. If the “escapement” lever is not working ….. it will only “strike” one (1) time on the hour.

Bobbiejoe101

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:02:26 am »
Thank you. We cleaned and oiled her up. After we got her running, to begin with, she would only run a few minutes. We removed the pendulum and let her work the oil through her gears. We where very happy to see that she ran all-night! Much to our surprise when it hit the top of the hour she chimed three times.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 12:06:05 pm »
I always "flushed" the gear bearing, the hour/minute hands shaft/tube and pivot pointss with Lighter Fluid or Lacquer thinner ..... before re-oiling everything.

After many years, the oil dries or forms a "varnish" that impedes the movement.

Bobbiejoe101

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 12:55:57 pm »
Good to know. Would have never thought of that. When we get her running good and cleaned I will post a picture or two. I will get the suspension spring next week. But two of my ouchless hairbands' work find right now.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 05:34:31 am »
We have a German "Grandfather" (Tall Case) clock from ca. 1910 with Urgos works. We did some maintenance after purchase, and it now runs with amazing accuracy, ready for another 100 years. Great engineering!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 10:08:25 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Bobbiejoe101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 05:46:47 am »
I hope this one is as good. Not sure when she was made. Maybe late 60's early 70's

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 11:49:45 am »
I have a grandfather clock literally made by my grandfather!  :)   

Most people call all long case clocks are grandfather clocks and many times it is hard to differentiate.  But yes, there are grandmother clocks and granddaughter clocks!  Guess the grandsons got left out of the picture (oh my, there will be a revolt and uprising about prejudism....  LOL)

Nice that you are fixing this one up!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Bobbiejoe101

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 05:28:44 pm »
Got the suspension spring in and she is running wonderful!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:08 am »
Excellent !!