Author Topic: Thai Buddha mystery  (Read 1255 times)

bunnyhatesfoofoo

• View Profile
Thai Buddha mystery
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:12:01 pm »
This is a 6" statue of a Thai Buddha. My boss inherited it from his mother who owned an antique store. We are located in Pittsburgh Pa. The statue is made from wood. It is damaged on the top and front. The gold and red paint have worn away in many places. It looks very old. Could anyone tell me anything about this item? I know its a long shot but anything could help. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:18:35 pm by bunnyhatesfoofoo »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Thai Buddha mystery
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:17:28 pm »
Do not see anything that makes me think it is unique in any way !!  Could be from someone`s personal shrine or just made for the tourist trade !!  Wood carvings are common in that area !!  How do you know it is from Thailand ??  What many people do not think about is that most antique stores use filler items along with the real antiques !!  They would be items that look old but not necessarily are old !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:18:38 am »
Is there a local museum that you could call and take it by for them to see?  From the pictures it doesn't "stand out" much.  This would require a hands on inspection from someone in the know.  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:15:03 am »
Is the bottom stained or is that the natural color.  When they are stained it makes it hard to tell the age of the wood.  How long ago did he get the statue?