Author Topic: WWI ? Damask Tablecloth  (Read 3077 times)

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
WWI ? Damask Tablecloth
« on: September 04, 2015, 12:17:04 pm »
Hi all, I have a most unusual Damask Tablecloth, I'm hoping someone can give me some info. It measures 70"x70" (square). It's white. What's unusual is the story on it. There are soldiers, horses, tanks, coat of arms, flags, battleships, battle scenes. In center is a winged woman holding the American flag in one hand and a crumpled piece of cloth or paper in the other that says "Europe". From the Uniforms on the soldiers and the soldiers riding horses I'm placing this as The Great War (WW1) era. Although it seems to represent the Allied forces there are German soldiers with very early WW1 helmets (Pickelhaube helmet - has a spike poking out of the top).

I've extensively poked around the internet and haven't been able to find any images that come close to explaining what I have here. Several years ago I contacted a woman via internet but she didn't seem to know what to make of it. Is there anyone here that can help me? I have more pictures to share but as you know I can only down load one. Thank you very much.

mart

• View Profile
Re: WWI ? Damask Tablecloth
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 04:04:59 pm »
First of all,, this appears to be a commercially printed material !!  Not hand made or painted is it ??  These pics are not good enough to see detail !!  If you are using a hand held device you may have problems with the pics !!  Just divide the pics into two posts,, should be fine that way !!

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 04:56:24 pm »
I do have better photos but unfortunately even one photo is 4896 KB and wouldn't load. I'm going to spend some time tomorrow trying to take photos that'll load. The material is called Damask, it's linen, white, and woven with a weave that goes in a different pattern to create the images. Yes, it is commercially produced, Ireland is famous for their Damask Linen. To view the pattern you have to hold the material at an angle and let the light reflect the surface. If you peer at the shadowy surface in my awful photo's you'll see the pattern of a winged woman, soldiers, etc.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 06:59:00 pm »
All you need to do is reduce the size to less than 3000 kb !!  I think that is what our site is set up for !!  One member said that you can adjust the size if you use the email setting !! I have no idea how that works though !!  Are you using a phone to take the pics ??

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52:30 pm »
These are the photos I took this afternoon

Oops, getting tired!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:01:31 pm by Shell2byrd »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 12:03:58 pm »
I am trying to discern from the photos - are the characters/figures printed on the tablecloth OR are they a result of the weaving of the cloth?  I do believe it could be the later and if so, this appears it could be from the early/mid 1900's and be referred to as a woven linen tablecloth.

Is it woven like this one on Etsy?  https://www.etsy.com/listing/226697133/antique-rarity-fantastically-scene-linen?ref=market

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 12:07:57 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 01:03:48 pm »
Hi KC, they are woven into the cloth and really hard to photograph! I believe it is called a "Commemorative" Tablecloth but I haven't seen anything like it before and am curious if anyone has some more information.

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 01:07:38 pm »
KC! How in the world did you find that?! Thanks! I'll revise my words to woven in my search.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 09:21:23 am »
I never thought to use that search term either !!  Talesofthesevenseas may be familiar with a tablecloth of this type !! 

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 09:17:28 am »
I have inherited a few beautiful linen tablecloths that (unfortunately) have remained boxed up.  It would ruin a meal or gathering to get them out and use them and one of my kids/hubby/myself put a permanent stain on it!  So, insanely, they sit unused.  One day I will start getting them out just to decorate the table as "eye candy" and probably do the thing that my grandmother's would do (I am sure you have all seen it at one time or another).  You get a very heavy plastic  see-thru covering and put over it!  LOL  Just like they did with their nice furniture - covering it with plastic and you stick to it when you sit on it!  :)

None of mine have scenery like this - but have seen various "figures" and "scenes" over the years.  Mine are 1) leaves/garlands, 2) flowers and 3) Combination of the two.

Just know from years of researching you try and look at an item and search for any characteristics, descriptions, names that you can think of....AND THEN search for those that "different thinking" people think of!  Once you find anything similar, look at the item descriptions and add those to the search terms.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 09:35:55 am »
Thanks KC! It is a shame to let these beautiful linens languish in a box. I thank you for suggestions of trying different words, somtimes my brain just gets stuck...

I have a hard time even considering using this tablecloth at a dinner setting. First, like you, fear of staining it. Second, the war scenes just don't jive with my Franciscan Desert Rose dinnerware. ;D I have enjoyed many hours trying to decipher it though, trying to determine the nationality of the flags and uniforms on the soldiers. Some of it has me puzzled, why would German soldiers and the German flag be depicted on an Allied themed project?

So many questions!

gardenspotgal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 02:30:03 pm »
That is a really interesting tablecloth.  I collect linens also, and I've never seen anything like that.  I have a linen tablecloth that dates to the 1870's.   I bought it at an auction.  I used it at Christmas one time and DH blew out the candles (instead of using a snuffer) and some candle tallow spilled onto the tablecloth!  He was in the doghouse for a while!  LOL  I finally removed most of it, but I am afraid to use it again...

I also have a linen single bed sheet and don't know what to use it for.  I love linen and it's expensive and hard to find.  I saw in a magazine that it could be used as a tablecloth.  I'd hate to spill anything on it.  If it were a double sheet, I'd use it on my bed.

Shell2byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 02:41:35 pm »
Hi Gardenspotgal! I wonder if we could coat our linens with "Neverwet". I wonder if china and silverware would slide off the table. Maybe elbows, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSsfxMQ
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:53:30 pm by Shell2byrd »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 05:40:03 pm »
Rather than use it as a tablecloth,,just fold neatly or drape it over a chair from that period as "eye candy" in a guest room !!  Or there are hangers specifically for antique linens and quilts that do no damage,,it could be a hanging art piece !!