Author Topic: Byzanthian cross 6th - 12 century  (Read 4474 times)

Billycourty

• View Profile
Byzanthian cross 6th - 12 century
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:20 am »
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I live in France and brought this cross at an antique dealers (a hole in the wall affair nothing fancy but very cool) for 100 euro (he wanted 150). The seller said that it was Carolingian/ Charlemagne era (800s) but from looking on the internet I think it is Byzantine (800s). The seller thought it was made of iron, but another antique dealer thought it was made of Copper (he scratched it and it was reddish under the patina). The object doesn't come with provenance because it was purchased unknowingly with a job lot.

I would love to know if anyone has seen similar crosses, if they agree with the age, and what metal they think it is. Also how do these kinds of objects usually come to be found?

Thank you so much for your time, help and guidance

Jaymee
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:13:55 am by Billycourty »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Byzanthian cross 6th - 12 century
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 01:17:15 pm »
Can we get a pic of the back so we can se where it was scratched ??

Billycourty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:03 pm »
This is the best I could get. Don't ask me why he scratched letters (BM). I also am including a photo of the back of the cross and one of a white "fissure" that might give more of a clue as to what the cross is made from/age.

Thank you for your help!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:23:42 pm »
Have you checked it with a magnet ??  Did some looking yesterday and from what I found,, I do not think yours is that early !! One thing that bothers me about your cross is the apparent mold lines around the edge !! Could be just the pic though !! Surprised me that these were fairly common to find in Europe because there were so many made !!

Billycourty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 05:44:21 am »
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I don't see the "mold" lines that your talking about and neither of the antique dealers mentioned it. One i was paying, but the other was giving a free evaluation, and both were certain of its age (i am just a sceptic and am looking for further confirmation from others who might collect these objects). I tested the cross at your suggestion with a magnet and it was not magnetic at all. Does this mean the cross is not iron?

Thank you for your time and attention it is greatly appreciated!

Jaymee

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:26:03 am »
Yes !1  Not iron !!  The lines I was talking about are on the edges !! I can see it best between the top of the cross and the side arms !! Looks similar to where something was poured into a mold and slightly ran outside the lines so to speak !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:58:59 am »
Interesting point about the pour lines Mart.  The top 2 pics don't appear to have any...however the last pic looking down looks as if it could be.

Billycourty can you please post a close up pic of the side of the cross (have it protrude slightly off the edge of a counter top and take a picture with natural light) and a picture of the top down a little closer please!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 04:30:43 pm »
Reason I am curious is that is a really odd color for copper to turn !! Almost looks like something was poured over it !! But like I said,,may just be the way the pics look on my computer !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 04:35:53 pm »
Early iron would have been made buy and ironsmith. Molded would be a casting. My husband when I first got married was an ironsmith. He worked in a forge for my brother in laws old family business. The family bought out Yellen. I will have my husband look at it later.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:39:55 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Billycourty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 02:08:52 am »
Thank you all very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and knowledge. I have attempted to take several more photos in natural like and I hope they were what you were wanting. A close up shot of the cross is a little difficult because of its size, but i have done my best. Also it is a very gloomy week here in Paris so the natural light is not as vibrant as it could be. I think i will have to post the new photos in two lots of 3.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:11:47 am by Billycourty »

Skinny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 06:24:03 am »
Looks like copper to me. I've dug up pennies with a metal detecter, and they have a similar dark patina with a bit of green oxidization.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 09:43:24 am »
Yes,, so have I but none had that turquoise color !! My opinion after seeing the close ups is that someone has artificially aged this cross !!  It is just not correct for the patina and verdigris of copper to my eyes !! That turquois color seems to be just laying on top rather than the item developing that rich blue green of a natural verdigris !!  And its a flat color !!  I am not saying the cross is not old,, it could be,, but someone may have wanted it to appear older than its actual age !!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:01:14 am by mart »

Billycourty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:11:52 am »
Thank you once again for your thoughts!

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 04:16:18 am »
Hi, I totally agree with mart that the cross has an artificial patina. Also the ornaments do not look as if they are naturally worn, but just cast that way to look old, especially when you see the sharp edges in some parts that do not fit in the general image. So I suspect this is a mordern fake.
Mat

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:01:20 am »
I agree on the patina...it is only in the low areas as if applied and wiped off.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!