Author Topic: Can you really find "Anything" on the internet?  (Read 1546 times)

CheckeredFlag

• View Profile
Can you really find "Anything" on the internet?
« on: August 06, 2005, 07:57:14 pm »
:huh:  Ok ....... Here's what I'm searching for ......
I'm looking for info on a 1881 Wire Dress Form made by Hall Borchert Dress Form Co. New York, N.Y.

32 years ago my aunt moved into an old farm house. That was when she first found it. ( In the attic ). But she left it there until she moved this month. She is now considering her options, but we need to know more.

Anyone with ANY info or direction ....... please help !! Thanks !!

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 01:21:25 pm »
yes, it seems like you can find just about anything - a quick google for vintage dress form led me here:

http://search.ebay.com/vintage-dress-form_...ntrypageZsearch

Almost all of them had a bid or two - I think people use them to decorate in Vintage houses, and a fabric store, not a chain type tho', might want to buy it.  In those days they came in "sizes" - and then you could further adjust the wires - some of the old ones don't conform to today's "body styles" - ladies used to have little tiny waists - but fuller bodies elsewhere - interesting find - KB

CheckeredFlag

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 06:31:05 pm »
Thank you for taking time to research and reply to my posting.

I had seen the ones you mentioned that where on E-Bay, and yes there are several there. Only nothing even close to the one my aunt has. I did manage to find a dress form that "Hall Borchert Company" made in 1926. That is the oldest one I've seen.

I guess I should have left more info on the dress form. I was tired and didn't really think anyone would reply.

It sounds as though you may know have knowledge in vintage dress forms, so maybe if I post more info, you or someone else may be able to help.

Here is the info that I can share with you:
PLEASE NOTE.......
I do have photos of the piece. If you need, I can e-mail the photos. I can take more if needed.

1.) It is "LIFE SIZE" ( a little over five feet tall from the floor to the top of the shoulders )

2.) It is like you said...... shaped for a lady, with a very small waist line.
( My aunt whom is 71 years of age, says she wished she had had a figure like that. lol )

3.) It has three cast iron legs for the base that are marked with the company name and also patent dates.

4.) There is a fabric type tape measure around the waist line that includes ..... " Hall Borchert Dress Form New York N. Y." and the inch markings.

5.) The entire form is adjustable.

The newest info that I have gotten, was from a descendant of the Borchert family, that just happens to live in New York. He was very confused about the patent dates............ Oct. 1880, Jan. 1881 and July 1881. According to him ( I'm guessing someone had done a family tree thingy ), the ealiest date he has on his family tree was 1906 ........... hmmm now this really stirs the pot now doesn't it.

So here I am ............. wondering ............

Why can't I find anyone .... dealers ... collectors ... appraisers ... authors, that know about this piece that my aunt has?

Is this truely a rare find ?

Is there NOT another one out there that it can be compared to?

Again ..... Thank you for your time and efforts,
Danny

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:37:18 pm »
anything like this one for $225?

http://boston.craigslist.org/clt/90997064.html

I'm a web researcher who loves antiques, and a bit of experience with pottery, porcelain etc.  But I'll research just about anything except high value jewelry and furniture.

What surprised me is that these older items most all had bids on e-Bay.  Their popularity I suspect is not that lots of women have taken up sewing, but because there's such interest in restoring/furnishing old homes from Victorian thru Craftsman.

Hang onto it for now - go to antiques stores and malls - high end vintage clothing boutiques - take a pic with you to these places - check auction sites like e-bay weekly and keep on googling.

Sorry I don't take e-mail requests - Best wishes, KB