Author Topic: Railwayana valuation of 3 wagon plates  (Read 1884 times)

Mattiques

• View Profile
Railwayana valuation of 3 wagon plates
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:39:56 pm »
Hi,

I have bought 3 wagon plates that I am hoping to sell (for profit!?) But wanted to check I ask for the right money.

From my research two of them seem to be pretty bog standard items, being black with white lettering. I have an idea of what to ask for them but ideas to help me confirm would be great.

The 3rd one seems to be a bit more unusual as it is white with silver lettering. I haven't seen another one like it whilst researching so was wondering  (or hoping!?) It made it more valuable.

All 3 are in good condition since they are all from the 50s. I'm presuming that "pressed steal" is what that wagon carried. And im presuming that "Derby" is the line that that wagon ran on. But I'm unsure about Met-Cammell? Is that the train line? Or the goods producer?

Amy info would be great. And value would be epic!

I'm pretty new to buying to sell but loved antiques for years so hoping I've made a good buy.

Thanks.

rink28

• View Profile
Re: Railwayana valuation of 3 wagon plates
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 04:56:06 pm »
i tried doing some research but didnt find much on these. try taking them to a local antique store they might know more about them. value? not sure how how much you paid but from the 50s i wouldnt expect getting rich from these! haha but still cool to look at!

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 06:25:42 pm »
Mattiques,  are you in the Uk?  I am not seeing a lot of these on US train sites but did see many on UK eBay.  Seems to be a wide variety of values depending on age, shape, and origin.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=railway+wagon+plates&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=railway+wagon+plates&_sacat=0

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

Mattiques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 01:59:47 am »
Hi,

Thanks for reply guys. Yeah I'm UK, just for some reason not many UK Antiques forums so thought I'd join this one as seemed to have good replies to a few threads I looked at.

Not expecting to get rich, guess I'm more worried I under value them, this being my 1st time buying to sell. Only paid £16 each for them so think I can make profit. Guess I should go with my gut and ask for what I think I can get but that worry I'm under valuing them prob going to still be there.

Does that ever go away? Or is that part of buying and selling antiques!? Ha

Thanks again.

awhitetriangle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:25:19 am »
met-cammell is the metropolitan cammell carriage and wagon company founded in birmingham in the 1860s they produced carriages that were exported globally. i'd say pressed steel may be what the signs made of but you could well be right. don't know about the resale value but £16 each doesn't seem like a huge amount to pay and railwayana is collectable here in the uk as i'm sure it is over the pond.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 06:23:56 am »
Hi there and welcome !!  We have other members in the UK so you joined the right group !!  Try researching those that you can find listed on other UK sale sites including Ebay UK !!  That's what most people do to find out what an item is actually selling for !!  Don`t go by asking price,, just selling price,, and set yours according to those amounts !! Like was said,, railroad collectables are pretty popular in most places !!

Mattiques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:22:45 pm »
Cheers guys. Is there a way you can see what past items sold for on ebay? Or will I need to find a few and watch them to see what they sell for?

I was thinking of putting them up for a buy it now price (once I finally decide on one!) With option to make me an offer. Is that a decent tactic to sell on ebay for profit or is it better to sell in normal ebay auction? I was thinking about railwayana auctions but not sure they are worth enough to bother with the expense.

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 07:15:28 pm »
Yes, eBay has a feature to show past sales.  In the left hand column you will find ways to change the search. One section says Show Only  you can choose Sold Listings

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.