Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about a japanese iron insense burner?  (Read 1845 times)

jerryk

• View Profile
Can anyone tell me about a japanese iron insense burner?
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
Found this today , I dont know much about it. I did see similar ones with a ball at the foot. Fairly heavy and solid. Inside is dirty with cob webs ,  4 small hole under the tail so i assume that for smoke and he has an open mouth. Any help would be great . When i found it i just had to take it home. inches from foot to tail cant find any markings.

jerryk

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone tell me about a japanese iron insense burner?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:11:02 pm »
inside head

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/foo-dog-incense-burner

Looks like it might be brass/bronze that has just aged and darkened !!  Look at all these from China !! Scroll down,, there are 3 or 4 with the same form as yours !! Mat might tell you more definitely what yours is !!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:56:15 pm by mart »

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 05:04:49 am »
Hi, I think mart is right, it looks more like bronze to me too!. This one is not a "Foo dog", that is why it has no ball under his foot. It is a Kirin (in Japanese) or Qilin ( in Chinese). You can see that because of the antler on his head. I am not totally sure, but all Japanese Kirin I have seen have hooves instead of the paws that your piece shows. In China most Qilins seem to have hooves too, but I have seen some that look like yours. In China there exist figural censers too, actually I think the Japanese took the idea from there. So I would think yours is Chinese?
As to how old it is, I would think it is not older than late 19th century, and likely newer, but maybe someone else who is more experienced with Chinese bronzes will see your post...
Mat

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:00 am »
Thank you all for the info, i did some searching for quilin , and found this one to be similar with a hinged neck and claws instead of hooves

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/a-bronze-qilin-formed-censer-16th17th-century-5000606-details.aspx

Mat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:09:07 am »
Yes, it shows similar characteristics, but the style and quality of that one are very different to yours, so do not think it is from the same period!
 Mat  :)

jerryk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:21:24 am »
Of course not mat,that one is way more detailed and nicer quality. im glad i know what it is. Finding it for such little in cost was a bargain and nice addition to the room.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 10:46:17 am »
Hi, I think mart is right, it looks more like bronze to me too!. This one is not a "Foo dog", that is why it has no ball under his foot. It is a Kirin (in Japanese) or Qilin ( in Chinese). You can see that because of the antler on his head. I am not totally sure, but all Japanese Kirin I have seen have hooves instead of the paws that your piece shows. In China most Qilins seem to have hooves too, but I have seen some that look like yours. In China there exist figural censers too, actually I think the Japanese took the idea from there. So I would think yours is Chinese?
As to how old it is, I would think it is not older than late 19th century, and likely newer, but maybe someone else who is more experienced with Chinese bronzes will see your post...
Mat

Foo dog is the incorrect term for Shishi and they don't always have a ball.

This doesn't appear to be particularly old to me. The overall design, the hinge...