Author Topic: Early Southern Table with messed up feet  (Read 19819 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Early Southern Table with messed up feet
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:18:00 am »
Estate sale of Kristina Barbara Johnson, you know, the lady who hired on as a maid for the band-aide guy and then married him, Johnson & Johnson, who had a pet tortoise named George that once belonged to the court of Queen Victoria. The big things in her estate sold last Jan. at Christies but the things that didn't make the cut in that sale are on the block in a few days, among them this table.
I am always on the hunt for early southern pieces, even if they have messed up feet because after all these years i only have 2 early southern pieces, they are hard to come by because of the circumstances in the south (war & climate).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:37:56 am by jacon4 »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Early Southern Table with messed up feet
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:23:18 am »
Beautiful table. Is the top all one piece? The feet look mid to late 19th century.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:33:39 am »
Something bad happened to the feet! The top, legs  and drawer are original to the piece. The top is pinned. Doubt the top is 1 piece, hard to tell with the splits in it though.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:51:23 am by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 09:36:09 am »
What the feet SHOULD look like on a period Virginia table of about 1710-1730

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 09:38:02 am »
Naturally, that small virginia table above with original feet is......$37,500.00
At least, that's what they are asking.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:50:18 am by jacon4 »

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 10:59:05 am »
That style of table would be late 17th, early 18th in the UK. Had one with a similar cross stretcher and turned legs which made several hundred GB but it had been altered but had the original bun feet, i think.

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 11:13:07 am »
Hey Ipcress, HAPPY THANKSGIVING! or whatever they have in GB.  The william & mary style (1690-1730) was not popular in the american colonies and almost none was made outside seaports/urbane centers so there is very little of it here anywhere and in the south land, VERY RARE!  This auction is in Philly so i am guessing the table above with bad feet to go very low, say a couple hundred or so. Most collectors take one look at bad feet and are not interested, the fact that it's a southern piece which i am counting on few if any to notice is only reason i want it.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:52:38 am »
We don't have Thanksgiving  :-[

We've allowed Halloween to infect our society over here but the food, the thanks, the drinks...always appealed to me, no doubt helped by watching Frasier, Friends etc. My dad's partner usually cooks me a consolation meal of mashed and other taters, fried chicken, corn, pancakes which are like latkes, homemade slaw, halloumi ( which you should try if you haven't already )....she's a damn fine cook.

Can't wait.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:54:16 am by Ipcress »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:00:49 pm »
We don't have Thanksgiving  :-[

Well, sounds like you are making out OK without TG though, here in america, TG is a VERY BIG deal, biggest travel day in USA.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 06:27:49 pm »
Once you get enough turkey, are you going to bid on the table, feet and all?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 06:49:44 pm »
lol, actually, i had prime rib roast. Yes, i will go a couple hundred or so when it comes up in a few days, it really isnt worth alot because the feet. Course, if it had it's original feet and it being southern, it would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy y outa my price range. Generally speaking, southern early pieces go for more than new england pieces because there are so few of them.
If i am correct and this table is southern, there is only a couple of places it could have been made, coastal virginia (williamsburg area) or charleston sc and, i am betting it was virginia because of the yellow pine secondary on drawer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:01:38 pm by jacon4 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 07:31:58 pm »
Darn,, I think we all should go visit Ipcress,,!!  Most of that sounds like a very southern meal !! Don`t know what that last one is but bet its good too !!  Throw in a nice apple pie or peach cobbler and it would be perfect !!

I assume those bad feet were surgically removed !! I don`t think it looks bad at all !!  Is that left front leg skewed a bit or is it just the way the pic looks !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 12:47:08 am »
I agree Mart...we should go!  :)

Ipcress, does she fry the Halloumi?  Love fried cheese!  :)

jacon4, thank you for sharing this treasure hunt with us.  Still a beautiful piece, feet and all.  Would love to know the story behind the feet...I am sure there is one!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 04:29:34 am »
Is that left front leg skewed a bit or is it just the way the pic looks !!     I think it's just the pic

Hard to say what happened to the feet, SOMETHING MASSIVE! though. I  am guessing they were sawed off just above original stretcher rail and flat X stretcher & new feet  doweled into leg block. Why this was done i have no idea unless one or more of original feet were damaged beyond repair, it is a very old table so anything is possible.
Kristina bought this table at Parke Bernet Auctions in 1960 so she had it a long time, this auction house was purchased by Sotheby in 1964. I tried to find the catalog of that auction to read this tables description but could not, online at least.
Auction is in 2 days, hopefully no one has noticed it is an early southern table, the description reads "early american tavern table", which, it is that.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 04:32:46 am »
The “stretcher” on that table intrigues me in the way it was made of 3 different pieces of wood, Is it also “pegged” together or do you know?