Author Topic: Hotel Le Malandre search  (Read 6124 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Hotel Le Malandre search
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:01:16 am »
Own four seats Art Deco with a name plate .
Nice and there  sold for high prices the ones on sale especial in the USA . But the should be the lounge seats from The Hotel le Malandre  from Belgium according to the sellers story's including Christies who sold two off them .
I would like to sell mine also but with the information off the hotel itself .
And there's no information to be found off a hotel with this name in the art deco time anywhere on the net ?

So anybody any more information about this hotel of any link the will lead to this information ? Or is it only a made brand by who and when ? Who is able to tell me a bit more ?

Thanks 

icedgold10

• View Profile
Re: Hotel Le Malandre search
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:26:48 am »
Here is a little additional information.

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 12:18:34 pm »
Thanks and did not get a message off a reply so a bit later answer . Been looking for this hotel in Brussels but no any information to be found on it . So where to look now ?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:42:20 pm »
I have searched for several days and haven't found anything about such a Hotel either gerspee!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »
Beginning to wonder about this !!  I can find many of these chairs,,all identical,, with identical descriptions but no Hotel le Malandre !! Only variation is the year !! Just got through looking at two more but they said 1940 !!  All say by a renouned French craftsman but does not say who it was that made them !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 11:03:09 pm »
Mart, does this sound like a "great marketing idea"?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:34:06 am »
Well that's what I also think  after months of searching and even the great auction houses have sold them as seats off the hotel le Malandre . So still the question who made them and when ?

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 05:18:47 am »
Does this provenance sound questionable to anyone else?

A stunning pair of burl wood and velvet art deco lounge chairs designed in France and manufactured in Japan for Hotel Le Malandre in Belgium in the 1930's.

designed in France
manufactured in Japan
for Hotel in Belgium
in the 1930's

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:39:07 am »
Yes and seen that on the net already months ago but looks to me a story and not proven facts by the look off it . There's nothing to be found off a hotel with that name anywhere on the net .

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 11:25:50 am »
Mart, does this sound like a "great marketing idea"?

You read my mind KC !!  Especially at the prices asked for these chairs !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 11:32:58 am »
You know that any hotel that has earned 4 or 5 stars would have to be in business a while !!  This doesn`t happen overnight !! So why no record of it ??

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 12:02:38 pm »
Well still are the owner off 4 off these seats I have to sell .  So hopefully that the are even more exclusive seats now  ;D But maybe made by the first Art Deco Ikea shop  :o in the thirties . But  think that the hotel story is just as truthfully as  the story off Cinderella . So nice and touch full but  :-X (you know my words now  ;)

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 12:55:45 pm »
There are a few variations of the design, some obviously with modern fabric. Most sites listing them for auction or as sold appear to be in the US, which is strange for Belgian hotel furniture.

There's absolutely nothing about this hotel on the internet, which i find impossible to believe if the place existed. Even an old advert in a newspaper would appear on some obscure websites and likely in Google books in a review of some description.

I can't find any result for Christies, only the mention of it on Deveson.nl and the pics they have on there - well the stitching is atrocious.

Very strange indeed...

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 01:51:41 pm »
There appears to be a "Malandre Hotel" in London, but I doubt if it's anywhere near the 4-star level. ;)
http://www.londondrum.com/accommodation/?r=10034502

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 02:53:03 pm »
This hotel is spelled differently also so I don't think it is the one . Here's the link to the Christies sale http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/french-a-pair-of-lounge-chairs-4694924-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4694924&sid=84e6f89c-e4b3-42a9-933d-d9b6351535e9

But the text has been changed recent in what's on it now . First there was the Hotel Malandre text complete on it . So been set right by the buyer maybe ?