Author Topic: Hendryx brass bird cage  (Read 7836 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Hendryx brass bird cage
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
I recently acquired a Hendryx bird cage from an estate sale.  It has me totally baffled!  It is brass but as you will see in the pictures, was painted white.  Hendryx is stamped in the brass on the side of the cage and not on a brass plate.  The bottom is wood and not brass as so many I've seen are.  I have not measured it but it is not small.  The shape is kind of Moroccan.  I am hoping someone can help me with an age and approximate value.  I have seen many Hendryx bird cages for sale but I know that what one prices something and what it sells for are not the same.  This one is also so different from any I've seen on line.  Any help is appreciated whether it is research material or your knowledge of this piece.  Thanks!
I should have been born in another era!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Hendryx brass bird cage
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:51:10 pm »
Is the whole top "brass" underneath or a mix of wood as well?

Not that unusual to see a bird cage painted that was made with metal.

I personally haven't seen a Hendryx like this but have seen many imported bird cages (reproductions) over the years that look like this.  Can you please post a picture of the Hendryx mark?

Hopefully someone else will chip in.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »
http://www.retropeacock.com/hendryx.html#.Vl4-TsJRGM8

I looked a bit on this from the Kovels forum but didn`t have much time this morning !! You should find the link above interesting !! There is a digitized copy of Hendryx 1938 catalogue at the bottom !! Maybe it will be in there !!  But according to this article by 1938 they had produced an enormous number of cages,,20 million or so I think it said !! 

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:07:37 pm »
I will get a picture if the Hendryx mark tomorrow in better lighting.  I too would have probably painted it for decor reasons!  Lol!  Thank you for the replies and I am anxious to read the link.  Will post new picture tomorrow.  Again thank you!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:21:32 am »
Good morning!  I have the picture of the Hendryx mark.  Also the bottom "shelf" is all wood as are the finials on top.  I looked at the link to the sales pamphlet but they want $38 for it.  I'm not sure I want to go that route.  I have looked up so far, a few of the styles listed to no avail.  I did live the history of the Hendryx family business though and appreciate it much!!!  Thanks again!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:26 am »
Here's a link to a "free" digital copy of their 1910 catalog.
http://digital.hagley.org/cdm/ref/collection/p268001coll12/id/20002

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:19:20 am »
That digital copy was from 1938 so that must have been the price from that year !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 06:08:39 pm »
Whew!  That is a lot of bird cages!  Thank you KC, Mart and Danville for the info.  I am starting to think it is possibly a "marriage" of bird cage parts or as KC said, a reproduction.   Never the less its really cool.  I didn't see one even close in the catalog!  That being said, would it have any value?  I paid $30 for it.  I hope its worth at least that!!!  Lol!  Thanks so much y'all for your help!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »
I do not think its a repro with a wooden floor and finials !! And yes,, I am sure you will not have to worry about its having value !!  Most of the larger more ornate cages such as this usually sell for several hundred !!  I can see this one in a nice Victorian setting !!  Did you match the name stamped on yours to the ones shown ??  The early Hendryx cages had the name stamped into the cage metal itself,,no attached name plate !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »
What are the dimensions of the cage?

It does have value. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:51 am »
While looking at the catalog the marking does look right.  Here are the dimensions...
27" tall
13" wide x 9" front to back.
Its not huge but it is a good size!  I knew I had to have it the mi ute I saw it!  Like I said I had never seen one like it.  Thank you again!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 12:58:47 pm »
Will you please post a picture of the logo/mark?  I see that you said you had it but don't see it posted.
Thanks!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:46 pm »
Oh my!  I just noticed it didn't post!  Let me try again.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 12:12:51 pm »
Looks right to me !!  Would be easier to see without paint but I do not think its a repro !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 05:44:53 pm »
Thanks Mart!  Thanks everyone!  I will continue to research.  I would love to know about when it was made.  You guys have been great!  I have been reading the other questions and am learning so much.  This forum is the best!  I will soon be having to sell some items of my aunt's.  She has a few pieces that she inherited from her husbands family.  One is a Morse chair.  So far I haven't found one that looks like this one.  There are no markings on it.  This for another time though.  Thanks again y'all!