Author Topic: Brass beverage dispenser  (Read 8554 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Re: Brass beverage dispenser
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2015, 07:06:39 pm »
Thanks ghopper, I do have questions regarding a Morris style chair I will be posting pics of soon.  Still haven't found one that looks exactly like my aunt's.  Have read a lot of info and all my aunt knows about this one is her mother in law told her it was 200 yrs old.  I questioned her on that just today because I thought she told me 100 yrs.  Her mother in law is no longer with us to ask for sure.  My aunt could have it confused with her dining table she also inherited from her in laws.  Anyway thanks for the invite back. 
Mart I really really do appreciate y'all bunches!
I should have been born in another era!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 07:13:22 pm »
I have used tea lights with some of my 50`s coffee warmers with nothing but a small amount of soot which is easily cleaned with soap and water !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 07:30:22 pm »
That would make perfect sense!  Smaller flame no burns!  Was just reading y'alls post on that gorgeous apothecary cabinet!  I love your comradery!  Thanks again!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:05 pm »
Like one big happy family around here !!  ;D

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 08:35:24 pm »
Sure feels that way to me!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 07:24:53 am »
My persnickety ;D opinion is, .... your item is made of brass with a “tinned” interior and a “cast” brass spigot that is soldered (lead/tin) to it.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:00 am »
Cogar, "persnickety"!!??!!  Lol!  Thank you for your response!  Any idea of age by chance?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 12:03:29 pm »
I'm thinking it could have been for just water or a drink unheated.

It was obviously raised on legs for the purpose of making it easier to dispense to an average size cup.

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 06:43:48 pm »
That sounds right.  It does have enough room under it for a short candle but the bottom does not appear to have had any high/hot heat to it.  We have seen other water dispensers that were a more rustic design.  It isn't fancy but also not like one you would use while working outdoors if you know what I mean.  My sister didn't have aa chance to talk to the seller as she was really busy and my sister was "on the hunt" for Ber next treasure!  Lol!  Thank you for your response.  Sure do wish I had more info.  I am thinking about finding out where the garage sale was and going to ask questions.  I may do that Saturday.  Lol!  She would never do it as she is a little shy about some things.  I would love to have the provenance or at least a date it was acquired by the seller!  Thanks again!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Re: Brass beverage dispenser Update!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2015, 07:38:43 am »
Sad to say I believe my sister is missing part of this dispenser!  I found this one and it clearly shows a small tray and warmer that the vessel sits on. https://www.ebth.com/items/2327470-antique-copper-beverage-dispenser
Does anyone know how much this takes from the value?  I have read many articles and one on samovars stated that collectors also look for the accessories to go with their samovars as trays and such.  This not being a samovar I'm not sure if it applies.  Also the one I linked to only sold for $22.  It was probably an eBay auction and my sister sells on Etsy where she sets her price and then waits.  As I'm sure most sellers do.  Lol!  Any suggestions on my new dilemma?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 11:20:59 am »
I have several samovars and they are valuable - sentimentally only!

Unless they are truly original antiques and/or have all the strikes of foundries and medals awarded for design (which were struck on the pieces as well), are unique in artistry -  they don't bear much monetary value.  However, I can testify that they are priceless when you are in Siberia during the winter!!!!!

Yours I would not call a samovar!  I would call it a water urn.  It could have had a heating unit....but many urns merely had hot water put in them! The other indicator to me that it may not have been for hot water is that there aren't any handles on it.  If you look at hot water urns/samovars, they have handles so that you don't burn your hands. (Just my observations.)

Examples of different kinds. 
https://www.thehighboy.com/decorative-objects/7442187348-french-antique-brass-water-urn
http://www.lassco.co.uk/a-regency-copper-and-brass-water-urn

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 12:39:23 pm »
Yeah, the problem with all this is, you should not use this to hold any liquids that humans will drink, in addition to the lead based solder that attaches spout, brass contains lead as well unless manufactured after 2014 (federal mandate for lead free brass). As a decorative item though, it's fine.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 03:02:08 pm »
Thank you KC!  I knew it was not a samovar for sure after reading and looking at others.  Would love to see your collection!  Siberia!!???  Brrrrr!!  I really appreciate the observation of no handles.  You would have thought I was smart enough to realize this just by looking!  Lol!  This sums it up for me!  Thanks!  Jacon4 you are so right about not using it for anything but decorative reasons.  I just love the look and could picture it in someone's collection of cool kitchen decor.  Thank you all and I believe we can close this one.  Lol!  I again want to express my sincere thanks for all who gave me advice on this piece.  Until the next one.....Jeri

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 04:18:02 pm »
Jisherf I would love to post pics of my samovars but they are boxed up and I don't have pics of them already. No telling when I will get around to opening them again.  We are reflooring the house and it isn't being done overnight!  So, the home is in uproar (as usual). 

The two that I do have out are modern (in Russian terms) from the mid 1900's and are electric.  I bought/used them during my travels in Siberia/Russia in the 90's.  They are a reminder of how spoiled we are here...and how much clean water/hot water was a precious commodity and we take for granted here.

Couldn't get out the ladder...so a "from below" shot of one of them on the top of the kitchen cabinets.  Makes nice decor and we pull it out when we have groups over for hot water for tea, etc.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:19:54 pm by KC »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
That is gorgeous KC!  Like I said about my sister's water dispenser, awesome decorator piece.  Yours however sure beats a Keurig at a "get together"!!!  Do you happen to have a blog on your Siberian experience?  Very intriguing!  Good luck with your remodel.  I've been through many and know how trying they can be.