Author Topic: Brass beverage dispenser  (Read 8558 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Brass beverage dispenser
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:52:07 am »
I am posting this for my sister.  She has 2 small vintage shops on Etsy and bought this a few weeks ago at a garage sale.  She and I have been searching to find an approximate age and value.  It is a brass vessel with lid and a spout.  I have seen copper water dispensers and many Samovars, which this is not, but none look like this.  In fact its kind of plain.  It's dimensions are 12 1/2" with lid x 8 1/2" at the widest point.  It sits on a wrought iron base which then makes it 15" high.  We can not find any markings that show up on the bottom but the spout is marked with "este 300 lb" and what looks like a cursive D and no. 1.  The inside appears to be galvanized metal.  I will post all the pics and it will take a couple of postings.  Would love your insights!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:59:46 am by Jlsherf »
I should have been born in another era!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Re: Brass beverage dispenser more pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:46 am »
More pics

mart

• View Profile
Re: Brass beverage dispenser
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:50 am »
That would be tinned copper and probably French made !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 10:52:43 am »
So it just has a brass coating?  I thought it appeared to have copper showing through the brass in places.  Any suggestions of age or value Mart?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:08:37 am »
https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&site=&source=hp&q=este+300lb+and+cursive+D+on+french+copper+beverage+dispenser&oq=este+300lb+and+cursive+D+on+french+copper+beverage+dispenser&gs_l=hp.12...2821.28607.1.32080.60.55.0.0.0.0.1637.3183.8-2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..59.1.1634.OhoYaOX7PQU&psj=1#q=antique+french+copper+beverage+dispenser+with+stand+

Here is a similar dispenser for coffee it says but the French may have used similar designs for other liquids !!  How big is this one and is the spigot tall enough for a teacup or coffee ?? These would possibly be used with a candle below like a tea light !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 11:11:08 am »
Brass has copper in it so depends on how much as to what it looks like !! Items used for food or beverage are mostly tin lined for safety !!  Copper/brass is excellent for even heat distribution but there has been some speculation over the saftety factor of its directly touching the food or beverage !!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:21:53 am by mart »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 11:25:32 am »
It is tall enough to place a cup under it.  My thoughts too were that there was a candle or sterno set under it.  The stand does not hold one though.  It is 15" tall when on the stand.  So copper and  brass mixed huh?  Cool!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:35 am »
Brass is a mixture of copper and zinc in varying amounts !!  But most all of them are referred to as copper on most sites !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 11:43:14 am »
Oh!  I learn something new everyday!  Thanks Mart, I will try that in my searches.  You guys are the best!  Thanks!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:49:41 pm »
I was looking at the picture of he spout again.  Dies it appear to be monogrammed to y'all?  I didn't see this looking at the item itself.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 04:23:12 pm »
Thanks Mart for all the tips.  My search with them brought several others.  Still none look like this one but it seems no two are the same anyway.  They range from very rustic to ornate like the one you linked.  This one falls kind of in between.  This will help her in her title, tags and price.  I read this forum every day so as to gain knowledge from y'all!  It just bothers me when I see questions that y'all answer or need more info on a d the poster doesn't get back to you.  A simple thank you doesn't take much effort.  Have a wonderful day and ill be back soon!😀

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »
The handle does appear to have a monogram.  To me it seems to be DN?

I was thinking coffee or hot water dispenser.  It does appear to be tall enough to have a burner underneath.  However, does it appear to have any heat/wear on the bottom?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:01:35 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 06:09:06 pm »
Thanks Mart for all the tips.  My search with them brought several others.  Still none look like this one but it seems no two are the same anyway.  They range from very rustic to ornate like the one you linked.  This one falls kind of in between.  This will help her in her title, tags and price.  I read this forum every day so as to gain knowledge from y'all!  It just bothers me when I see questions that y'all answer or need more info on a d the poster doesn't get back to you.  A simple thank you doesn't taket much effort.  Have a wonderful day and ill be back soon!😀

Thank you so much for the nice words !!  Glad to know that you are reading and expanding your knowledge !!  That is what this forum is for,,learning !!  And I mean all of us !!  Even us oldies learn something new almost on a daily basis !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 06:14:36 pm »
Thanks Mart for all the tips.  My search with them brought several others.  Still none look like this one but it seems no two are the same anyway.  They range from very rustic to ornate like the one you linked.  This one falls kind of in between.  This will help her in her title, tags and price.  I read this forum every day so as to gain knowledge from y'all!  It just bothers me when I see questions that y'all answer or need more info on a d the poster doesn't get back to you.  A simple thank you doesn't take much effort.  Have a wonderful day and ill be back soon!😀

Thanks Jisherf! It's always good to help come up with information for someone who's actually grateful! Come back any time.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 06:56:54 pm »
KC unless someone cleaned it recently it does not appear to have had fire to the bottom now that I look at it.  Here are two pics of the bottom.