Author Topic: Morris chair or Morris style chair?  (Read 7166 times)

Jlsherf

• View Profile
Morris chair or Morris style chair?
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:28:32 am »
I finally took pictures of my aunt's Morris chair.  Her mother in law gave this to her about 20 yrs ago along with some other furniture and decorative items.   She has given me 2 stories one is that her mother in law told her it was 200 hears old and the other that she told her it was 100 years old.  She now says she is not sure if the 200 years old pertained to the dinning table and chairs or to this chair.  This is the only "history" we have on it.  Lol!  I created an album and hope it will link here.  If not then I will post the pics another way.  Please pardon the dust.  I did wipe it down under the cushions but years of dust doesn't budge without a thorough cleaning.
https://goo.gl/photos/xWUfDiasE7wELV2q8
I should have been born in another era!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Morris chair or Morris style chair?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 03:42:59 pm »
100 yes, 200 no. Beautiful!!

How about some photos of the 200-year old table?
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 04:20:28 pm »
I will post those soon.  I have to take off the table cloth and pad.  I am sure she knew when these were acquired by her family, speaking of mg aunts mother in law.  The table is rather ugly to me.  Actually the wood is pretty but its got these huge feet/paws.  Not ball and foot just huge paws.  There are ladder back rush seat chairs that she said came with it.  I wish people would write down the history of items they want passed down from generation to generation.  Its so frustrating.  Her mid century pieces I have no problem with.  They are just decorative items and right up my alley but Morris chairs and paw  tables, not so much.  Lol!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »
I can`t see the chair !!  Those pics do not work with dial-up !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 07:27:13 pm »
I'm so sorry Mart.  I will try one this way.  Tell me if it works.  If not I will go to my PC and try it that way.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 07:28:40 pm »
Mart, I will post others this way if it worked.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:12:32 pm »
Yes that one is great !!  Can see it now !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:21:01 pm »
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Mission%2F+arts+%26+crafts+style+Morris+chair

Here you go !!  But don`t put much faith in those prices !! Even though this style is popular,,almost everything on the internet is overpriced !!  Now if you can find a name on it ,,that might change depending on who it is !! Can you tell me what that upholstery is ??  Like a vinyl ??

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 09:12:49 pm »
Yes the upholstery is a vinyl.  It looks to have been recovered.  The underside if the seat is stapled.  I forgot to take that picture.  Do you need more pictures?

I have looked at hundreds with my google searches.  This chair has no spindles between the arms and base.  It also is not got a peg at the front of the arm holding the arm onto the arm base?.  I have looked every inch for a name and there is none.  My aunt for years has told me about this chair and said it was worth $5000 - $8000 . My searches have not found this to be true unless it is marked and that was 5 years ago.  I know the prices of these on line are not realistic, especially here in NE FL.  I have tried to prepare her the best I can.  I told her she could always pay someone to appraise it.  She doesn't want the chair but it seems like she will only sell it if she can get a big number.  Lol!  My grandmother was like that.  She saved 100's of Avon bottles because, "they are worth a lot of money".  I say it didn't cost her anything so sell it and get what she can.  What a predicament huh?  Lol!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 12:40:09 am »
She's not alone. Human psychology indicates that most people think something is more valuable than it really is, especially if it's theirs. A labeled Stickley chair with the original upholstry would bring some big $, but unfortunately that is not this chair.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 06:21:11 am »
Yes ghopper, I have tried to tell her when I first saw it and looked for a name on it.  I guess its human nature but I have even shown her the listed chairs.  I did tell her I was going to ask on this forum and send pics.  Maybe she will listen to y'all!  Lol!  After all I am just her niece what do I know?!?  Lol!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:24:13 am »
Ghopper is right but even Stickley will not bring that much !! They made quite a few and more Stickley Brothers chairs so they are not rare or hard to find !!  A realistic price for this chair because it is not marked and has been reupholstered would be in the $800. to maybe $1200. range !! Most older people think that because one,, perhaps exceptional example, of a chair brought that much money that they all will !!  Back in the late 70`s and 80`s Duncan Phyfe repro furniture was selling like hotcakes !! My entire dining room was in that style and I had the card table, several drum tables,, ect !!  It was nice stuff but still repro !!  Today its garage sale material !!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:47:21 pm by mart »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 07:41:53 am »
I hear you Mart!  In fact I told her last year she would be lucky to get $800!  I think she saw a segment of Antiques Roadhouse and based her knowledge on that.  I feel good that all my research is now vindicated!  She wants to sell a lot of her things but I warn her all the time they may not bring what she thinks they should.  She also wants me to do all the research posting and selling and hand her the money.  I know she is my aunt but I believe in fair enterprise.  Lol!  I don't want to sell and tell her I got less and pocket say 10% because a liar I'm not!  At the same time its a lot of work!  I use to do online sales so I know what's envolved.  Even Craigslist is work.  Any suggestions on this are greatly appreciated!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 05:17:59 pm »
Hmmmmmm, nooooooooo. This is a Morris style chair but i don't think it's period because if one looks at Stickley, Rohlfs, Limbert, Roycroft, etc period stuff, all those furniture makers built with quarter sawn oak which was a signature feature of that style of furniture, posters chair is built with rotary sawn oak. Although Mission or Arts & Crafts furniture can sell for big bucks if period, signed, good condition, etc, I am guessing this chair was built around 1925-1935, maybe even 1940s. Although wayyyyyyyyyyyy out of my field of interest or knowledge, that rotary sawn oak should not be there if it were a period Mission piece, ditto the seat cushions, they should be leather. Linked is a catalogue of period mission stuff by some of the major makers of the day with the prices included.

http://www.artsandcraftscollector.com/whatsitworth/furniture
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:36:04 pm by jacon4 »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 06:20:57 pm »
Jacon4 thanks for the link and the input.  My personal opinion on it his particular chair is if she was giving it to me I would say " no thank you"!  It is not my style at all.  Sure wish her mother in law was still here to tell me where it actually can.e from. Lol!  I do see your point on the value based on what those pieces on the li k showed.  Mart sent me a link to an auction site where many sold for under $100.  My greatest fear is when she's gone it will be mine then to get rid of.  Lol!  I think I will email my aunt the pics and let her try to sell it on Craigslist!  Then she will know for herself.  Thanks again!