Author Topic: Morris chair or Morris style chair?  (Read 7168 times)

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
Re: Morris chair or Morris style chair?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 06:50:04 pm »
LOL @ no thank you.

Yeah, i hear you. The thing is, if you have that 1900-1920 craftsman style house and, there are A LOT of them all over the country, almost every city in the northeast has neighborhoods where there are homes where mission furniture fits to a T. I am guessing that is one reason that mission period furniture still sells well, matter of fact, if you don't have the money for period stuff, Stickley still operates and builds brand new high quality mission style furniture.  Your piece however looks much later to me, more like what one would find in a 1940s dentist or doctors office lobby, mission revival which, is still built today.

https://stickley.com/
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:56:38 pm by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 07:22:50 pm »
I would add that where i live now, Charlotte NC, a 1000-1200 square foot  craftsman style 1910 bungalow will cost you 200k-250k. The bad news is, at that price it's a "gut" job, you will have to replace all the plumb/elect/hvac, roof, baths, kitchen, etc. It will cost you 150k-200k or more to make that bungalow nice so at the end of the day, you would have close to a 1/2 million in a small house. Considering all that, i can understand why people will drop a few dollars on period mission furniture as a statement type piece, even if they don't furnish the whole house that way.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:29:13 pm by jacon4 »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 07:37:37 pm »
I had typed a whole thing and my wifi went down and I lost it!  LOL!  Yes we too have craftsman style homes in a couple of neighborhoods here in Jacksonville, Fl.  They run high to start because of the neighborhoods.  If you  can find one that's not had all the charm destroyed.  I like some of the mission style furniture I just don't like this particular piece.  LOL!  Maybe I have looked at this style too much!  Anyway...wait until you see the dinning table I will post at another time.  I'm not sure what it is but my aunt keeps giving me these stories that this furniture belonged to her husband's grandmother before his mother got it.  I really hope that if I ever have anything with history to pass down to my children that I write it down so they will never make a mistake about it.  LOL! BTW thanks for the new link.
I should have been born in another era!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 07:51:30 pm »
I like anything made of oak !!  You would be surprised at how "livable" some of these pieces are !! Put this furniture in a nice little craftsman style bungalow and it fits right in !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 07:51:47 pm »
Personal Value versus Current Market Value comes in great conflict quite often.  It breaks my heart so many times to have to tell someone that.  We all have come across that if you have ever took the time to associate yourself with the resale value of items.  Bottom line, if it is a family item does the family history value mean enough to hold on to it or to sell it?!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 06:07:53 am »
It's ALL about the construction details! At least it is for me with the stuff i collect, it's about all there is to go on with early furniture.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 06:36:01 am »
I like the quarter sawn better too.  Much more interesting!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 07:31:47 am »
And then there is riven oak which is split, not sawn and has much more figure than does quarter sawn oak. Pilgrim furniture was built with riven oak and a couple years ago a small auction house in Asheville NC, Brunk's, had a pilgrim chest up for auction. This chest was misattributed to the mason messenger shop in Mass. and the auction estimate was 3k-5k because the condition of the chest was very poor. The feet were missing, the lid was mostly replaced/ missing, hardware missing and 2 side panels appeared to be replaced, basically all that was left was a "fragment" of the original chest.
As soon as i saw this chest, i realized Brunk's had it all wrong, this chest was in fact carved by Thomas Dennis, america's most celebrated 17th century joiner and, if i played my cards right, it could be mine for a few thousand dollars. I emailed a dealer who handled early stuff but was traveling in europe at that time to get a second opinion, dealer didn't think it was Dennis because of this, that and the other thing. Back to the books and online i went, trying to confirm what i already knew. Then, a couple days before the sale i did a STUPID thing, i fired off an email at 3 in the morning to the leading authority on early stuff asking his opinion. An email came back at 3:30 a.m. saying in effect, YES! YES!! YES!!! this chest was ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY carved by Thomas Dennis. By 4 a.m. that morning on his blog, up went the story of someone who had discovered a "new" Thomas Dennis  chest in N.C. BAM!!!! his blog post included pics, auction link, EVERYTHING. This had the effect of alerting every antiquarian in the nation that a Dennis chest was up for grabs in a couple days. Chest fragment sold for 22k, i never even got a chance to click the bid button once.
http://www.brunkauctions.com/lot-detail/?id=94982

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:35:05 am by jacon4 »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 07:50:01 am »
Oh no!  I guess you learned a valuable lesson! 

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 07:50:57 am »
Riven oak

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 07:55:54 am »
Yeah, well, i knew better than to spill the beans but one can get so caught up in the research you forget all about everything else.

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2015, 10:52:38 am »
Lol!  Especially when you find a jewel such as that!

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2015, 11:14:28 am »
It probably went to a museum which is where it really belongs. They will restore it and it will be viewed safely for the rest of time. I originally contacted the dealer because at auctions, cash is KING and i had suggested a partnership or dealer buy with my bid number and sell/finance back to me at a percentage. When dealer balked at partnership but agreed to buy/finance back to me at cost + 20%  because they didn't think it was a Dennis chest, that's what led to my losing out on the chest altogether. I didn't want to lose money so i tried to hard to make SURE!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:29:04 am by jacon4 »

jacon4

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »
The thing is, most dealers, museums too, have a room full of objects that were "mistakes", with a long sad story attached to each object. On the other hand, old dad here can't afford to make a mistake like that. Take the above chest, if i had got it for a 5k hammer price, add in a 20% BP, that's now a 6k chest, add in dealer finance fee, we are up to $7200. On top of all that, Thomas Dennis or not, that chest needs to be restored and, you are not going to fix it by making a trip to the hardware store so figure at least 4-5k for restoration.  That brings us to 11k-12k or so, a bargain if it is a Dennis chest, if it's not, it's going to wind up in the mistake room, a BIG no no for dad.
This is why over the years, most of the pieces i have i bought from dealers or museums, let them make the mistakes! Yes, you do pay a premium in price that way but i sleep better at night. I still gamble at auction but i gamble hundreds, not thousands or 10s of thousands.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:24:24 pm by jacon4 »

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 02:33:32 pm »
Smart man!  100's beat 1000's any day!