Author Topic: Graniteware – a “show & tell”  (Read 10033 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Graniteware – a “show & tell”
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:14 pm »
They are handy when eating pancakes !! You can pour warm butter over them instead of waiting for the butter pats to melt then trying to smear them over your breakfast !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 07:10:38 pm »
Now I have to have one Mart!  I always use a measuring cup and the microwave.  Lol!
I should have been born in another era!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 05:19:00 am »
You can probably find them very reasonably on ebay !! When cooking the radiant heat will warm and  melt the butter if you just set it on top of your range or you can use the lowest heat setting and place it on a burner !!

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 06:14:27 am »
Good to know!  Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 07:56:00 pm »
Get a couple!  One for butter and the other for warm syrup!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 09:07:51 pm »
PeLady, love the garden idea! Your garden looks great! Cigar, nice splatter/Graniteware! ☺
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 09:17:37 pm »
KC I had already thought of that!  I have been using the microwave less and less.  I think I will get me two! 

@greenacres. Lol yours auto corrected Cogar's name just like mine did!  Now I don't feel so bad!  😀

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2015, 06:08:18 am »
HA,  ;D ;D don’t be fretting about the spelling of my last name or the pronunciation of it. Like they say, ……. “call me anything except late for a cold beer”.

The name is originally German, as per an ancestry web link, and dates back to a Claus Koger who was born in 1572. And as his descendents migrated into western Europe and then to America the spelling of the name changed according to “who” was writing it down on paper.

Ya gotta remember, very few people could read or write in those days but most all knew how to pronounce or say their name. Thus, when said person got married, bought property, booked passage, got arrested, etc., the spelling of their name was at the discretion of the literate person that was writing it on the document. And if the linage of the literate person was German then the name was spelled with a “K”, and if English it was spelled with a “C” and the remaining spelling was whatever the literate person thought it should be. And from that time onward that is “who” you were ….. as long as you had that document or a copy of it (even if you couldn’t read what was written on it).   

Thus said, the spelling of my last name was originally Koger, but over the past 400 years the spelling of it has morphed into several different spellings such as: Kogar, Kowger, Kowgar, Kougar, Cogar, Coger, Cowger, Cougar, etc. HA HA,  ;D ;D … one time a person wrote my name as Sam Gocar.

But technically, none of the above really matters simply because I am not a Cogar or a descendent of said Claus Koger, …. nor was my father, my grandfather or my g-g-g-grandfather.

YA’ll have a good day and I thank you for your comments about my collection of graniteware. I’ll try to post pictures of some more of my “goodies” as time goes by.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 07:06:02 pm »
Cogar, are you related to the James Cogar whose columns appear weekly in the Longview newspaper ?? I believe he is a syndicated columnist so pretty well known I think !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 04:59:21 am »
Mart, not a close relative that I am knowledgeable of …… but then I am not obsessed with “family tree” research. But my wife is for her “family tree” and she is the one that directed me to this web site:  http://hackerscreek.com/norman/COGER.htm

And Mart, you have probably heard of these (distant) relatives of mine. Either Arden Cogar, Sr. or his son who is featured in this commentary. I’ve met the father but not the son. To wit:
http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl-timbersports/athletes/pro-competitor/arden-cogar-jr/

My older brother George was the only notorious ;D ;D ;D one in my family, to wit: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cogar

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 08:57:51 am »
Interesting about your brother !!  Couldn`t get the others to load !!  Did they ever find the plane ??

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2015, 06:18:33 pm »
Hey Cogar, I do believe that one with the rounded lid is a beer bucket! VERY COOL!!! These are hard to find in good shape with the lids intact.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 06:03:17 am »
Oh, my, my, ….. a “beer bucket!” huh?

Thank you Tales, …. I would have never thought of that. The second I read your post I had “visions” of someone carrying their beer home from the local “pub” in that very bucket.

For those who don’t know the history, that is the way one purchased their beer in the “ole days” …… before they learned to pasteurize the beer and put it in bottles with a “secure” bottle cap on it.

Being a beer drinker myself, ….. that now makes my “bucket” extra special.

-----------

And Mart, no, the plane was never found. And an added tid-bit that fate works in mysterious ways, I had made plans of being on that “hunting trip” but an unforeseen “act” cancelled them.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2015, 07:05:14 am »
Well, Sad about your brother but we thank God for that unforeseen act that kept you from going !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 09:17:12 am »
Cogar;
Before you head to the saloon to have your bucket filled, here's an old trick: Rub the inside surface with lard so the beer doesn't foam, and you'll end up with a better fill. 8)