Author Topic: Need help with WW2 UK propaganda map/poster - SOLVED  (Read 1970 times)

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
Need help with WW2 UK propaganda map/poster - SOLVED
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:07:12 am »
Just bought a lithograph map/poster of India dating circa 1940s  ww2

Its believed that its made by MacDonald (Max) Gill 1884-1947 - Known for his London Underground "WonderGround Map".

I bought it with four other maps of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and so on.

These other maps were made by MacDonald (Max) Gill (1884-1947)
so its now also believed that the India map is from MacDonald because of the same style
and the similar text starting with ''IN WAR AND PEACE'' .

The map is still on its way so I can not take a picture of the actual map itself.

There is plenty of info and valuations to be found on the internet about other maps made by MacDonald,

but I can not find a single reference relating to the ''INDIA'' map/poster issue, besides one single picture, 
and this picture was credited by ''The National Archives''

my questions are know.
- Why can I not find a similar map (is it that rare??)
- Can I safely say that the India version is also made by Macdonald Gill ???

(the map is not in mint condition but it is still complete with no tears or pin hols and it was folded in the past )

Will upload a picture as soon as I received it in these couple upcoming days

source of the image below :  http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/world-war-ii-poster-india-at-war-and-peace-news-photo/138603547

maps images made by MacDonald : https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MacDonald+%28Max%29+Gill+%281884-1947%29&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjngsS5yIHKAhXHqx4KHalwAk0QsAQIRA&biw=1275&bih=814

Any info is welcome.

Have a good New Year all and the best wishes
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:08:23 am by Chrislondo-London »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with WW2 UK propaganda map/poster
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:59:16 am »
Once you get the piece you may want to contact The University of Brighton who is amassing a collection of his works to see if they could be of help and/or you could help them as well!
http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/collections/design-archives/resources/max-gill

I have enlarged the pic you attached as much as I can and cannot read the small print in the bottom left-hand corner. I am betting you will have to wait until you receive yours to read that portion and see who it is attributed to, etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:01:41 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:24:59 pm »
Hi KC,

how are you doing and thank you for taking the time to help.

That is indeed a option, I will defiantly contact the university of Brighton .

I do not think that the bottom right text will have his name on it.

The other maps of New Zealand and Australia also have the exact similar text starting with ''IN WAR AND PEACE'' and than it tells a short story of its resources and attributes, but no names are mentioned

see link for the Australia and New Zealand maps with the same words ''In war and peace''

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~264219~5524622:New-Zealand---her-natural-and-indus

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~264228~5524623:Australia--her-natural-and-industri?qvq=q:author%3D%22Gill%2C%2BLeslie%2BMacDonald%2C%2B1884-1947%22;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=10&trs=44
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:28:26 pm by Chrislondo-London »

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:06:34 pm »
The bottom left hand side of his maps bear the printer so it would be interesting to see if it is one that he typically used.

Would be sooooo strange if it is his and he didn't mark it when so many of his pieces are marked.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 07:11:39 am »
I've found several others on the net. Here is a link to a larger image

http://michaelmoonsbookshop.tumblr.com/image/77814288719

It was printed by Alf Cooke Ltd, a company which printed other Gill maps.

It's not attributed to Gill and there were several other similar series of maps and prints being published at the time. You'll also find plenty of leaflets etc designed in a similar style.

If you have a minute, take a look at this website.

http://www.goldmarkart.com/all-art/collections/school-prints.html?mode=grid

These were designed by celebrated artists and published for schools ! Now quite collectable.

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:08:09 am »
SOLVED

Thank you KC,
The design of the poster and the lot i came with really confused me.

Thank you Ipcress, that was a sharp  observation.

This one was difficult to research without knowing the printers name or other 
(Printed in England by Alf Cooke Ltd., Leeds and London. 51-9254).
The poster/map dates 1943 and it is printed by the same printers as Gill uses for his maps and it also has the same design as Macdonald Gill,
but its not made by him I  because of the lak of a signature!!
Shame.....

This is what I could find

Color lithographic pictorial / pictographic map, sheet size 29 1/4 x 19 1/2 inches, Colored map of India featuring an attractive decorative border.
Text in lower decorative insert discusses India's Economic Future:

"Before the war India was already one of the eight leading industrial countries of the world. In response to the demands of war Indian capital and Indian technical skill have helped to develop still further the country's industries. India is now in a stronger financial position than any other country in the Far East. Plans are being worked out for a vast development of industry and natural resources. Indai can look forward to a great future." Decorative vignettes and banners highlight the rich resources of the country. India is depicted in pre-Partition form, suggesting that it was published shortly after the end of World War II.

Printed in England by Alf Cooke Ltd., Leeds and London. 51-9254." printed at lower left corner. "O.P.D. 39/219/7." printed at lower right corner. Item #53409
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:10:37 am by Chrislondo-London »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help with WW2 UK propaganda map/poster - SOLVED
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 06:05:07 am »
Sorry it is not original but still a nice map !!