Author Topic: need info and value on a dinnerset inherited  (Read 3786 times)

user123

• View Profile
need info and value on a dinnerset inherited
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:39 am »
I have a dinner set hat i inherited from a close eldery fried and have been trying to get more information on it as i am trying to establish the value. its been laying in my garage for over 4 years and I'm cleaning out. It has signature on the back of the bigger pieces that reads j schnabl & sohn dessendorf and the plates all have the no 380 hand painted on the back. what i could find was that this factory existed between1869 and 1910 and that's about it... i am no fundy on antiques and the local shop offered me  south African Rand 4500 for it. says it has blush so must be early 1900's. i am trying to upload photos but Ive never used a forum before and still struggling. It has fine pink flowers on it with green leaves and a  uneven edge, rounded within the round plate if that makes sense. it also has gold markings on it and around the edges also gold. with Th pink blush marks in some of the rounding.

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
Re: need info and value on a dinnerset inherited
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:28:08 am »
i need some pis to confirm the style and quantity .
it could be worth 10x more than 4500SAR to the right person.
but this really depends how much pieces you have, design, colors, subject, and if its a complete set.

just an example of a mocca set
http://catalog.quittenbaum.de/object_detail_Mokkaservice_fuer_vier_Personen_1920_25_JanE1k_Pavel_Schnabel_Sohn_Dessendorf_28Desna29__65175__list_objects__M_106A__0__eng

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:39:49 am by Chrislondo-London »

user123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 08:33:30 am »
no i saw that as well, but its nothing like it, i have attached pics now. hope it works

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 08:46:05 am »
I would sell it if it was mines.
Its not special and will not increase dramatically in value.
 very simple design and very hard to find a buyer for this type of sets.
people are looking for designs that fits in this modern time-period.
you will not easily find a customer for it which will give you more than the dealer offered you.
his offer is fairly fair if you keep in mind that he is a dealer and that he also needs to make a living.
he maybe has customers for it, and if not it will gather dust for a long time on his display shelf

But always wait for a second opinion from the other forum members!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:59:57 am by Chrislondo-London »

user123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:50:13 am »
Thank you!

user123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:13:31 am »
Any other opinions on this?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:28:44 am »
Can you please post a good pic if the name on back ??

user123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
Unfortunately I can hardly even see the name on the back, but I've posted what I have. Maybe you can zoom in on it and see better.

user123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 09:52:17 am »
Its written in capital letters J SCHNABL & SOHN on the first line and on the second line it reads DESSENDORF with no other markings or symbols or signatures. Then only on the plates does it have the no 380 hand painted in black on each plate on the back.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 04:16:50 pm »
Well, they're beautiful even if they're not "cool."
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »
Not sure where you are located but older set sell well in Texas areas...but you won't get rich on these.

I am one of those that holds on to inherited pieces!  The sentimental value is priceless!

I also think the pieces I can see are nice.  They have some character with the gold rims and wavy edges.  The finger holds on the service platter are a very nice touch as well (these are not seen as often).

How many pieces are there?  Can you tell total and what they are?  (Such as 8 dinner plates, 8 salad plates, bread plates, soup bowls, etc.)  Do you have cups/saucers?  Do you have double handled soup cups and saucers?  These are all important questions.  Are the pieces crazed/cracked?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:53:04 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:03:15 pm »
I think they are in South Africa !!   I tried to find some listed for reference but they were all in German so do not know how they are selling worldwide !! Even though here in the U.S. the small chintz like florals do not do well,,its possible they would do well where you are !!  How would the price you were offered translate to USD ??

Chrislondo-London

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 03:32:28 am »
4500 SAR converted is around the

$290 US Dollar
£195 UK GBP
€265 Euro

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 05:41:36 am »
That is a respectable price and more than the set would bring here in the U.S. !!

user123

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:46 am »
Hi all, sorry for late replies... Yes, I am in South Africa but it was not bought here, it was brought over by the Austrian lady that I inherited it from. She in return inherited it from her mom. She was about 70 whenshe passed about 4 years ago. There are 6 small plates, 6 normal dinner plates, 6 soup plates, a dinner server with lid(big dish), not sure what you'd call it, a sauce bowl and saucer(was fixed it seems)2 serving plates and a pretty serving deeper dish and some small thingy that I think is prob used for other sauces or something... All pieces are in tact except for the sauce saucer that had broken and fixed on the one end. Its not very very heavy but its not light either. What I could find is that its probably chechoslovakian and the factory operated between 1860's and 1910 I think I read.