Author Topic: Silver Ewer and Display Tray  (Read 1756 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Silver Ewer and Display Tray
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:04:52 pm »
Can anyone come up with a value, country and date?

What I know:

The ewer is just short of 8 inches tall. The tray has bun feet, and the two objects have been displayed together for many decades. Not sure if they were originally made to go together or not. They've been in the same family in the midwestern U.S.A. for at least 75 years. The ewer is covered with grape leaves with grapes on the handle, so you can draw the obvious conclusion there.  ;D

The imprints are very hard to read, but I'll do my best:

The tray: There are 3 square marks over the number "9208." The square imprints are: What looks to be a leaf over 5 stones on the left, a large "C" in the middle and something illegible on the right.

The ewer has many marks underneath: On one axis are 3 imprints: a star, then a plus sign, then a star with the numbers "706" crudely drown over them. Below it is a stamp reading what looks to be "BSCEP." The stamp is fractured in the middle, so a letter or two may be off.

The other axis has a set of three imprints: What looks to be a gryphon on the left, 2 wings supporting what looks like an inverted crown capped by another crown in the center, and a basket with an arm and hammer emerging from it on the right. Below are the numbers "5801."

Some of these are very difficult to read, even with a magnifying glass.

Any knowledge on this one? Date? Value?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 05:20:48 pm by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Pelady

• View Profile
Re: Silver Ewer and Display Tray
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:38:52 pm »
Ghopper,

I do not see any similar design elements between the two items.  Since the marks are very different, I would suggest that they are just an "Old Marriage". 

This is an old post from our forum on hallmarks:
http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 07:38:06 pm »
BSCEP is the silver mark for Barbour Silver Company, Electro Plated.  Their markings are a lion with wings/griffin, thistle crown, hand/arm holding a hammer rising out of a castle.

Using the reference that Pelady gave above, here is the specific page to verify http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_B.html

Believe these two pieces have just been married a long time and not originally together.  From the height of yours I would surmise it to be a creamer.  Typical pitcher is 13" and above.

Does the embossed grape pitcher have an attached lid?  Or is it just sitting in it?  The reason I asked is that the lid sits sideways which is really unusual and looks very odd. I wonder if this isn't a married piece as well.   

I then searched for one and found this described as "Antique Silver Plate Barbour Silver Company Water Pitcher 13 1/4"h x 9 1"

and this "Antique Ornate Barbour Shef 5500 Silver Grape Pattern Creamer Cream Pitcher  $16.50"

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:10:14 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:16:52 pm »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 07:14:05 am »
Well done! Agree that it's Barbour, agree that it's an old marriage, and agree that it's a creamer because of the smaller size.

Yes, the lid is attached on the short (handle) side. Looks original to me.

I'll guess that creamers are not super valuable because there are less of them, so I'll put a value on these two pieces of $50.00 together, just because of the depressed antique market and the fact that younger collectors don't seem to care about silver at all.

So: Country of origin: USA. Value: $50.00

I know that Barbour became a part of International Silver in the late 1890s. However, I don't see IS anywhere on the creamer, so I'll say this is a Barbour 1890s piece.

Thanks! Karma points all around!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:28:35 am »
IS continued to use Barbour's markings for awhile but can't find where they finally started denoting IS on them.

Pretty pieces!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »
Found on this VERY INFORMATIONAL thread that IS continued to use Barbours markings until 1931!
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9514

Also, found out some very interesting information about Barbour that I didn't know before that was noted (Barbour was marketer originally and not a manufacturer of silver!)  This can be verified on The Connecticut Historical Society site!
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9514