Author Topic: Adam and Eve Tapestry Woo Hoo - Pictures are Posted!  (Read 5712 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Adam and Eve Tapestry Woo Hoo - Pictures are Posted!
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:23:58 pm »
We have a tapestry, measuring about 24" x 36", that I believe was made in the mid 19th century, in France.

The subject at first appears to be two women surrounded by animals and greenery, with a castle turret behind them to the left. On further study, the figure on the left has a beard and appears to be dressed in a wizard's gown, complete with acorn hat. The figure on the right is a woman with branches growing out of her head.

I think this is a romantic interpretation of Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden, but I've never seen this kind of symbolism before. Have you?

Also, the tapestry is blank fabric on the back and mounted in a tortoise shell-looking frame that appears to have been made for it. The tortoise shell effect comes from hundreds of black paint brushstrokes, so of course it's not real tortoise shell at all.

This has been in the family over 100 years.

Can anyone hazard any guesses about this tapestry from what I've told you, especially value?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:54:31 am by ghopper1924 »
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Adam and Eve Tapestry
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:29:59 am »
With digital cameras, the default settings for “picture quality” is oftentimes set with a picture “SIZE” of 24” by 36” (inches) …. and high resolution “portrait” quality of many, many mega-bytes. And if you view that picture on your camera screen, your I-phone screen or your PC screen ……. it will look just fine to you because the firmware will re-size the photo to “fit” your viewable screen size. And if you “send” that photo to family or friends they will view it the same as you did.

But don’t attempt to upload that photo to AQF because it will reject it. So, you can either change the settings on your camera ……. or re-size the photo to an 8” by 10” for Standard E-mail or Web View and then upload it to AQF.

Or you can store your photo on Photobucket or whatever …. and then post the url “img” link to it on AQF …… and the AQF server will display it in/on your posted message ...... when it transmits your posted message to whoever chooses to "view" it on their I-phone or PC.  Said url "img" linked photos are not stored on the AQF server so no reason to reject them.   

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:08:23 am »
Good advice.

The thing is, I've been using the same digital camera to upload photos on this site for years. In fact, I've saved the camera for the express purpose of using it on this site. This is the fist time photos have been rejected. I wonder what's different?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 08:04:05 am by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:54 am »
There has been a problem in the last few days of pics not loading !!  Ed is working on it !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:50:13 pm »
Ed is aware of the uploading problem and is working to try and resolve it!  The Antique-Shop Ghost is really working hard this time!  😀  👻
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Adam and Eve Tapestry Woo Hoo - Pictures are Posted!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 09:53:01 am »
Yes!

-Broderick Crawford

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:07:48 pm »
Ghopper,

I don't think they are Adam & Eve.  Depictions back to the Middle Ages usually focus around scripture passages and have them nude or partically covered with leaves or hair.

Gen. 2:24  The state of primeval innocence, noting that the man and woman were "naked and not ashamed",
or
Gen. 3:6. "With this the man and woman recognize their own nakedness, and they make cloths of fig leaves and loincloth,"

Maybe Mother Nature?  I could not see the beard in the photo. Something about the robes gives an eastern feel to the subject.   

What does the family history say about it?

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 04:47:11 am »
The fact that there are buildings and other figures in the tapestry would negate the Adam and Eve theory !! Mythology of some type,, or a fairy tale !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:44:17 am »
Thanks for the input! The figure on the left does, in fact, have a beard. I overlooked it as well, for quite awhile.

Good points about the nakedness as well.

I do know that the Victorians loved to re-interpret things according to their own world view. Fairy tales are a well-known case in point. In our own home we have  an 1890s wax figure of Andromeda chained (with tinsel "chains") to a wax rock under a glass dome.  Now, if you've read your mythology, you know that Andromeda was placed in this position without any clothing whatsoever, but in our 1890s version she's wearing Victorian "underwear," which covers almost all of the figure from shoulder to ankle. Nevertheless, it's Andromeda chained to a rock, a clearly "modern" attempt to illustrate the ancient myth.

The reason for my "Adam and Eve" theory is that the tapestry is centered on male and female figures and most of the tapestry is taken up with greenery and animal figures, i.e. the Garden of Eden. There does seem to be a touch of the "Green Man" mythology, with the wizard costume and the branches growing from the woman's head. Other than that, I am at a loss to find a different interpretation.

I feel pretty safe about dating this to the mid 19th century. I think it's pretty certain that this comes from western Europe (France, Belgium) but it could come from England, I suppose. I don't recall any American tradition of tapestry making like this example from that time. I'm also certain that the Victorians loved to mould past stories to fit their own times, much like some people do today.

Family history is silent on the subject matter, so no help there.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 08:10:37 am »

Mmm,, back to the old standby,,Merlin !!  First paragraph Ghopper !!  Sounds familiar doesn`t it ??
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:36:56 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:40 am »
OK, so a couple of questions: Any ideas on $ for insurance purposes?

Also, does anyone know of any knowledgeable tapestry people out there? People that would be willing to render an opinion?

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »
http://www.timelessmyths.com/arthurian/merlin.html

What happened to my link ??  Let me try to find it again !!  Here it is !!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:43:32 pm by mart »

Pelady

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 05:49:17 pm »
This is from a web site that sells and buys antique needlework.

This canvas makes me think of yours. http://www.antiquesamplers.com/canvas/reclining-lady-needlework.htm   Maybe you can get some ideas from it or email them some photos.

mailto:hubers@antiquesamplers.com

PeLady
Plymouth, America's Home Town.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 04:23:20 am »
Pelady,, that one of the reclining lady is very like the style of Ghoppers piece !!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:40:03 am by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 06:07:21 am »
Agree on the style. Well done Pelady! Thanks!!

-Broderick Crawford