Author Topic: Help with these Delft Tiles  (Read 7729 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help with these Delft Tiles
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:21:42 pm »
Hi there Durk and welcome to the forum !!   Pardon me if my post sounded like these tiles were not worth buying !!  I did not intend that !!  My point was that the owner had a valuation that was not consistent with todays selling price !! I think that $150. is a fair price in todays market !! Looking forward to seeing them all when they arrive !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 08:27:14 pm »
Hi all,

I noticed this post a bit too late, but I hope this information will still help you out.

It are indeed Dutch (handmade and hand painted) antique tiles, made at the end of the 17th century (c. 1680) and basically at the end of the Dutch Golden Age. It looks like some tiles might have been made in the same factory, as they show strong similarities in the way the sea creatures, the sea and corner patterns were painted. Some tiles are decorated with so called 'ox-head' corner patterns and the one with the 'dots' is known as a 'spider' corner pattern.

Yes, you can indeed buy Delft tiles on eBay for a rather low price, but do note that the overall condition, the quality of the painting, the depicted image and the age of the tile are of a big influence on the value. Many of the tiles on eBay have old restorations, are badly damaged or are simply too common to be worth a lot. The rare tiles that occasionally come by are not sold cheap.

The tiles you bought seem to be in a pretty good condition, although the top left tile might have been broken. The depicted sea creatures are very entertaining to watch and most definately worth collecting. In my opinion, you made a great purchase (a bargain to be honest  ;))!

The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a great collection of antique Dutch tiles. I believe there was an exhibition quite recently, but not sure if there is anything running at the moment. Some of the tiles they own can be found on their website: http://www.philamuseum.org

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch. Good luck!

Durk

(the owner of the previously mentioned webshop)

Durk, thank you so so much for that information! Exactly what I was looking for.
I picked up the tiles earlier today. I love them. (as if I needed something else to collect!)
Worth every penny of $150 USD to me.

A few do have some obvious damage, but I actually think it adds to the story and look. (obviously hurts the value though)
Four of them are framed.

So you believe these are definitely late 17th century tiles?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Would you mind if I emailed or messaged you?

Here are some quick photos of each of the 12 tiles for anyone who is interested.

ATS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 09:59:24 am »
Hi there Durk and welcome to the forum !!   Pardon me if my post sounded like these tiles were not worth buying !!  I did not intend that !!  My point was that the owner had a valuation that was not consistent with todays selling price !! I think that $150. is a fair price in todays market !! Looking forward to seeing them all when they arrive !!

Hi Mart! Thank you for welcoming me! No worries about that, it's just that eBay is not very representive for the antique Delft tiles worth collecting. There are many passionate collectors in the Netherlands, but also in other countries such as the USA, Canada, UK, Japan, Germany and so on!

Hi all,

I noticed this post a bit too late, but I hope this information will still help you out.

It are indeed Dutch (handmade and hand painted) antique tiles, made at the end of the 17th century (c. 1680) and basically at the end of the Dutch Golden Age. It looks like some tiles might have been made in the same factory, as they show strong similarities in the way the sea creatures, the sea and corner patterns were painted. Some tiles are decorated with so called 'ox-head' corner patterns and the one with the 'dots' is known as a 'spider' corner pattern.

Yes, you can indeed buy Delft tiles on eBay for a rather low price, but do note that the overall condition, the quality of the painting, the depicted image and the age of the tile are of a big influence on the value. Many of the tiles on eBay have old restorations, are badly damaged or are simply too common to be worth a lot. The rare tiles that occasionally come by are not sold cheap.

The tiles you bought seem to be in a pretty good condition, although the top left tile might have been broken. The depicted sea creatures are very entertaining to watch and most definately worth collecting. In my opinion, you made a great purchase (a bargain to be honest  ;))!

The Philadelphia Museum of Art has a great collection of antique Dutch tiles. I believe there was an exhibition quite recently, but not sure if there is anything running at the moment. Some of the tiles they own can be found on their website: http://www.philamuseum.org

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in touch. Good luck!

Durk

(the owner of the previously mentioned webshop)

Durk, thank you so so much for that information! Exactly what I was looking for.
I picked up the tiles earlier today. I love them. (as if I needed something else to collect!)
Worth every penny of $150 USD to me.

A few do have some obvious damage, but I actually think it adds to the story and look. (obviously hurts the value though)
Four of them are framed.

So you believe these are definitely late 17th century tiles?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Would you mind if I emailed or messaged you?

Here are some quick photos of each of the 12 tiles for anyone who is interested.

Hi Capn,

They look great and are absolutely (late) 17th century, no doubt about that. Feel free to send me any questions you might have. I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 12:00:57 pm »
I've seen identical tiles in similar condition - crazing, cracks, loss - and they've struggled to sell for more than £25 per tile

$150 for the lot is nice though !

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 12:40:28 pm »
I've seen identical tiles in similar condition - crazing, cracks, loss - and they've struggled to sell for more than £25 per tile

$150 for the lot is nice though !

Where did you see them? Honestly, at that price, I would buy more.
Did they have the nautical theme?

Here are ebay links to two of them that sold this past week for over $100 USD each. Almost identical to a couple that I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-c-1650-Delft-Dutch-Tile-Neptune-w-Trident-Mythological-Mermaid-NR-yqz-/291680556335?hash=item43e984152f:g:zroAAOSwPc9WuR3M
http://www.ebay.com/itm/31494-Antique-17th-century-Dutch-Delft-tile-Sea-Creature-Mermaid-1650-1700-/361446263135?hash=item5427e0495f:g:t4IAAOSw7FRWaBTR

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 04:51:07 pm »
They were like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delft-tile-with-Seacreature-17th-century-/231820092123?hash=item35f98de2db:g:cEkAAOSwqrtWn5Uq

in UK auction houses with internet bidding.

£90 for one tile is bizarre !

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »
They were like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delft-tile-with-Seacreature-17th-century-/231820092123?hash=item35f98de2db:g:cEkAAOSwqrtWn5Uq

in UK auction houses with internet bidding.

£90 for one tile is bizarre !

Some sell for a lot more than that if you check sold listings.

$50 usd for one isn't too bad.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 06:05:15 pm »
Good buy!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!