Author Topic: Antique Book "The Opium Eater" Signed James Carleton Young  (Read 3051 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Antique Book "The Opium Eater" Signed James Carleton Young
« on: March 01, 2016, 12:58:58 am »
Here's an interesting book I purchased at the TS yesterday that I thought I would share. The Book is named "The Opium Eater" Confessions of an Opium-Eater, by Tomas De Quincey. This book edition or revision was published in 1898 as dated in the book.

The Book is signed by James Carleton Young to T.S. Roberts (Thomas S. Roberts. M.D.) and seems to be in appreciation and is dated Dec 25, 1905. The book also had inside of it the personal card of James Carleton Young as seen in the image below. This book may have been a gift to his doctor for Christmas but I'm not positive since James Carleton Young states in the message in the book "Guardian of the lives of those I love best". Although, the nature of this book and the content of this book may be if interest to a doctor.

James Carleton Young had a very eventful life and made a fortune in Real Estate during the Later part of the 1800's. He used this fortune to create a Huge Book Library containing tens of thousands of books and autographs. In 1902 the Paris Figaro christened him "King of Books" and in 1910 he was decorated by the French Republic with the Cross off the Legion of Honor as mentioned in articles.

The book does have condition issues with the spine being mostly separated from the book and foxing of the paper. I'm including some images below, some with image references.

I have no idea of the value or significance of the book with the signature and being given as a gift to presumably his guardian or doctor. Does anyone know what this book may be worth.

Thanks!
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 01:01:38 am by KevinM »

KevinM

• View Profile
Re: Antique Book "The Opium Eater" Signed James Carleton Young
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:03:20 am »
Here's a few images references below of James Carleton Young.

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 05:04:54 am »
Nice find !

Could be that JCY and TSR shared an interest in ornithology because although TSR was a doctor of nervous and mental diseases, he also published articles on birds, particularly in Minnesota, and maybe this is what JCY is referring to when he says the doctor protects the things he loves most ?

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 06:23:00 pm »
Thanks Ipcress! I had read up on T. S. Roberts prior to making this post but I didn't make the connection between ornithology and the 2 men but now that you point that out there is a very good possibility that is what J. C. Young was referring to when he said "Guardian" in the book.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:00 pm »
Does the Roycroft connection add much to the value?

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 01:06:08 am »
Does the Roycroft connection add much to the value?

Rauville, I'm not sure although I think I've seen a few Roycroft copies out there.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 02:45:42 pm »
This came in an edition of 925 signed copies. Value can be anywhere from $15 to $300, depending on condition. With the condition issues associated with your copy, I'd say it's worth $10-$20.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »
This came in an edition of 925 signed copies. Value can be anywhere from $15 to $300, depending on condition. With the condition issues associated with your copy, I'd say it's worth $10-$20.

Really? Even with the significance of what was written including the signature of the person who wrote it and to whom he wrote it? Hmm.... I would agree that the book alone without it including the preceding in it's current condition may bring that price. Certainly James Carleton Young the "King of Books" autograph with what was written, his personal card, the book and Thomas S. Roberts. M.D as the recipient would command better value.