Author Topic: Sideboard for flashback!  (Read 9356 times)

Tammy

• View Profile
Re: Sideboard for flashback!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 03:20:42 pm »
This is Flashback (James), thanks a lot folks I appreciate it.I found the house was built in 1906 and the owner was the assistant manager of a local mill he was about 47 at the time I believe and died around 1920 at the latest so I would assume he bought the piece fairly early in that period but need to do more research. You sure seem to have nailed it spot on so far. No idea on a ball park price range?
On a side note I took some pics of another piece I have and will ask Tammy to post, it has a stamp on a drawer I could only partially read something Hart n Son cabinet maker something Stone Gate Leicester it's a nice clean hutch or sideboard server type thing, ill post soon.

Tammy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2016, 03:27:08 pm »
Wow KC! Looks vary similar. I'm going to take your advice and google those key words. Are you interested in brokering some things?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2016, 06:43:26 pm »
When you post the next piece,, take a good well lighted pic of front and back then get the details as you did on the last pics here and include the hardware !!  That will help us !!  Where are you located ??  UK or U.S. ??

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 05:54:56 am »
Yes, definitely dolphins and not koi! :)

Late Renaissance Revival. Country of origin looks like France. Construction ca. 1890-1910. Looks like walnut and oak. Depending on where you are, I'd say the value is something like $1K to $1500.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 12:18:46 pm »
My thoughts are a English Sideboard (even tho' it has French influence in it).  Here in my neck of the woods they sell from $1,500 to $3,000 depending on the quality/condition of the wood, size, design.  Being in the south there are so many more homes that can accommodate the larger pieces and still do.  From my experience and seeing the market here in Texas I would see this coming in around the $1,700 to $1,800 range these days (if the wood is in good shape).

The carvings are not sinister and are pleasing (some get really stern/grotesque and fall into the Gothic era). 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Flashback

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »
Thanks KC Im in California. Ill try and post the other pics today as well. Theres actually also a 4x8 ships hatch table w 2 4x4 end tables, a nice long 10 ft table of a ships bell from The Hougue Arrow it has available pictures of all stages of its construction because it was the biggest of its kind and pics of 5000 people turned up for its launch, not sure if that helps the value but it would be nice as an entry to a sea food place. If theres interest ill include photos of those as well. Thanks again

Jlsherf

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2016, 07:58:50 pm »
We are interested in seeing all your antique pieces.  You do realize though that we are not buyers we are all here with information to offer and to learn about antiques from others.  Your sideboard is very beautiful and I have learned a lot on this style just from this thread!  Thanks for sharing it with us!
I should have been born in another era!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 01:49:05 pm »
Parts of it look English but others don't. Could it not be American ?