Author Topic: Barker Ellis Tea Caddy  (Read 4092 times)

Damnedifiknow

• View Profile
Barker Ellis Tea Caddy
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:23:58 pm »
Hello All :)

My great Aunt brought this from England quite a few years ago, and even though I've been able to find a little bit of information about it, there are a couple of markings I'm unsure about. Does the K11 stamped on the bottom signify it is a K series? Any idea what the x25 stamped on the underside of the lid is all about? Thanks for any and all help.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Barker Ellis Tea Caddy
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:01:22 pm »
How tall is it ??

Damnedifiknow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:06:36 pm »
It's 4.25" tall.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:18:54 pm »
Those letters and numbers that are not a part of the mark are usually useful only to the company that made it !!  They may mean the shape number or the size if they were made in more than one size ect !!   That is the Menorrah in the circle isn`t it ?? They started using that in the mark around 1912 so it would have been made sometime after that !! They used several others as well so that doesn`t help a lot !!  I am guessing this tea caddy is probably from the 1930`s !! The written mark is not one of the earlier ones !!  Maybe Ipcress will take a look at it and have more info since he is in the UK !!

Damnedifiknow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 05:24:26 pm »
Thanks for your time and knowledge. :)

Damnedifiknow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 05:43:33 pm »
Any and all information would be greatfully appreciated.Can't thank you enough already..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 07:35:39 pm »
Give it a day or so to get more opinions on it !!  KC collects silver and a few of the others know more that I do !! Weekends are kind of hit and miss around here !!  Members pop in as they have time !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 10:55:52 pm »
According to the company history, Barker Brothers (Birmingham) merged with Ellis Silver Company (Birmingham) in 1961 creating the Barker Ellis Silver Company!  So, this would be after 1961!

http://www.silvercollection.it/ENGLBARKERBROS.html

Could you please post the dimensions.  It could be a biscuit tin or a tea caddy!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Damnedifiknow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 04:48:20 pm »
Sorry Mart, the second of my two in a row comments was my husband, my fault for leaving this page open. Thank you to you and KC for the info. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 05:22:27 pm »
No problem there !!  Its a nice little tea caddy and will make a nice heirloom keepsake !! Silver over copper is commonly called Sheffield plate !!  Its a keeper !!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 05:33:52 pm »
Those letters and numbers that are not a part of the mark are usually useful only to the company that made it !!  They may mean the shape number or the size if they were made in more than one size ect !!   That is the Menorrah in the circle isn`t it ?? They started using that in the mark around 1912 so it would have been made sometime after that !! They used several others as well so that doesn`t help a lot !!  I am guessing this tea caddy is probably from the 1930`s !! The written mark is not one of the earlier ones !!  Maybe Ipcress will take a look at it and have more info since he is in the UK !!

They acquired Ellis in 1931 and as this still has the menorah mark its probably one of their old designs made under the new name so 1930s would be bang on !

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 05:58:50 pm »
Am I going whacky or under all references....Barke r Brothers merged with Ellis in 1960's (not 1930's) creating Barker Ellis!!!  That would make this item 1960's or forward! Listed below reference to Government archives, silver collection and

[/url]http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/lists/GB-800819-Barker.htm[/url]

http://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilverB.html

Also, please list dimensions of piece!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:45:37 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 06:40:34 am »

This may be what Ipcress meant,, !!

Ipcress

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 12:57:21 pm »
" In 1963 Ellis factory was moved into Barker's, business since 1931 called Barker-Ellis "

Barkers bought Ellis in the 1930s, became Barker Ellis.
In the 1960s, after several name changes, Barker Ellis Silver Co Ltd was registered on the stock market.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 02:44:20 pm »
Thank you Thank you Ipcress and Mart for explaining ever-so-nicely to me!  The thick head just wasn't getting it with the figures/information given!  AND the government site didn't even explain that! Kudos/Karma to both of you for your ever-lasting-patience and willingness to help the helpless!  🤗 🙃
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:50:44 pm by KC »